Chapter 8

A/N: Okay so first off, I want to thank all of you for voting and commenting and reading my story!!! ^--^ I'm really happy that you guys are enjoying it, and so sorry for not updating that often.
*deep breath* Okay, so the book is almost finished. There's probably going to be only one more chapter after this one, and then it's done. It only took a year to finish! *nervous laugh* But seriously, I wish I could've updated more but I had to focus on school most of the time and when I did have some free time, I had writer's block or was, to be honest, just too lazy and tired to write. But we did it! I so did not think that this book would do as well as it is, and you guys are the reason I keep writing. I love you all, and I hope you enjoy the next couple chapters!!! ❤️

Claire grunts as she and I pull open the back doors of an armored car. It's filled with weapons and armor, making it very safe, but also very dangerous.

"See? Totally safe," she says with false confidence. She turns to look at the boys and ushers them inside. I pick up the younger one, Gray, and put him inside as Zach lifts himself inside. They both sit on a couple of boxes against one wall, and Claire's "maternal instinct" comes out.

"If you need me, I'll be right up front. Just open that window," she explains. "Now, put your seat belts on," she says. I look at her confused.

"Claire, it's the back of an armored car. Why would there be seat belts?" I ask, and she shoots me a glare. The boys nod in agreement as Claire takes a frustrated deep breath. I try to give the boys a reassuring look and I walk around the truck, entering on the passengers side. I hear her tell them to hold hands and I roll my eyes. They're brothers. Would they really hold hands?

Claire has her sweater around her waist when she sits in front of the wheel. She holds a screen in her hands, and upon turning it on I see that it's footage of the cameras strapped to the raptors. We sit in silence for a few moments before we both speak simultaneously. We chuckle before I let her speak first.

"I, uh... I'm sorry," she says. I give her a confused look.

"For what?" I ask, laughing nervously.

"For acting the way I do. I know I seem stuck-up, and I don't seem like I care for the assets-the... animals, and..." She trails off. "I know you don't like being called 'Ms. Jackson,' but I call you that anyway to be professional, even though you are the complete opposite of professional-"

"And you ruined it," I say, leaning back in my seat and putting my feet on the dashboard. She looks at me with a serious face, and I sigh.

"Fine, apology accepted. But only if you start calling me Sadie," I say accusingly. She nods.

"Okay, good. And I'm sorry, too," I say, and now it's her turn to appear confused.

"I'm sorry for thinking you were a miserable bitch who didn't really like anyone. I can really tell that you care for those kids," I say, and she looks conflicted.

"Um, thanks," she says unsure, and goes back to watching the screen. Two of the cameras are of the raptors' point of view, switching between the four. The third is a switching view of the truck, and the fourth is of Owen. I clench my fists as the raptors are released, and I can hear their footsteps outside sprinting into the woods. The sound of vehicles follows, and I pull the screen into my hands so I can watch more closely. I don't realize it as I start nervously biting my lips, and I can vaguely hear the window quietly opening behind us. I watch one of the raptor cams switch to a view of Owen's backside on his bike, the four raptors almost forming a circle around him.

"Your boyfriend's a badass," Zach says to me, and I almost smirk. The raptor speeds up and Owen is out of sight, and I can only see the woods and the other dinos ahead. After a few minutes the raptors slow until they stop completely, and I realize that they must have found it. They found the Indominus.

I sink lower into my seat at my grip around the screen tightens. I can hear Claire scolding the boys and their protests next to me, but I don't bother paying attention. The camera in the truck shows the men exiting the vehicle and aiming their guns at the trees, with Owen and Barry joining. The raptors seem anxious as the leaves shift, and the Indominus reveals itself. My heartbeat rises as the giant dinosaur approaches the raptors. They start chirping at the I-Rex and making noises, but I furrow my brows in confusion as the large dino starts responding with the same noises. My blood runs cold as I realize what's happening. I look at Claire, and she notices the fear in my eyes. I don't know much about the raptors, but I've been around them long enough to be able to tell what communication looks and sounds like.

"They're communicating. The raptors are communicating with the Indominus," I say, shaking my head and returning my gaze to the screen.

"How is that possible?" Gray asks from behind us. Claire realized something too, and she tenses up.

"It's part raptor..." My head snaps to her.

"What?!" Our claims ring true as my attention is drawn back to the screens, where the raptor cams are staring directly at the men, with Owen in the middle. I cover my mouth with my hand out of shock as the raptors go crazy, creating chaos among the group. Gunshots fire wildly as the raptors disperse, and a small area of trees explodes and the Indominus falls over.

"Oh my god," I hear Claire mutter. To my dismay, the I-Rex stands up, and it runs into the woods as the men shoot at her.

"Watch your six," I hear Owen call out. "Raptors got a new alpha." The tension is high as everything goes quiet for a few moments. Then the first scream pierced the silence, and all hell breaks loose. I watch in horror as the raptors take down the men with no struggle at all, creating screams of pain and terror. I call out, but I can't tear my eyes away from the screen, to make sure that Owen-

"Sadie!" I reluctantly look away from the screen to see the other three staring at me. Claire puts one hand on my shoulder and holds her other hand out to me. I gladly take it, desperate for some reassurance.

"He'll be okay, right?" I ask quietly, returning my gaze to the screen. I hear a yes, and I feel her hand squeeze mine reassuringly. I take a deep breath and try to calm down; panicking won't solve anything.

I focus on the camera attached to Blue, who is currently chasing after Owen's retreating form.

"Is everybody dead?" I hear a small voice ask from behind us. We both turn to see the boys, and Gray looks scared.

"No, no, everyone is fine," Claire says, turning the screen away so the boys can't see it. I take it out of her hands and hold it in my lap, watching.

"Don't lie to him!" I can hear Zach yell, sounding angry at his aunt.

"He's scared! It's okay to lie when people are scared!" She tries to reason, and I glance at the three of them.

"I want to go home," The little one says, and I can't help but feel sorry for him. He's too young to be seeing this much death, especially all at once.

Suddenly something hits the driver side window, and I call out as Claire screams. The little window separating the boys and us closes, and I focus on the truck window to see a hand. It leaves a bloody handprint as it falls, and a man's voice yells from outside.

"Get out of here! Go!" Claire quickly starts the truck, and we begin moving. I turn to look at her, my heart racing. I see something approaching the window, and my eyes widen when I realize what it is.

"Claire!" I scream, but she notices too late. The raptor crashes through the window and its snapping head rests on Claire's lap. We both scream and I try to back away from the head, as it's about to bite me. I put my left hand on my seat and push away, but it slips, and my heart stops. It gets too close to the raptor's head, and a couple of my fingers get trapped between her teeth. I scream out in pain as the raptor falls from the truck, taking half of two of my fingers with her.