4--Shopping

I drank my smoothie, looking over my sunglasses at the crowded streets of Gotham. Wally, Aqualad, Artemis and I were walking around town. We'd already gone out to lunch, went to the arcade, and stopped for smoothies, and now we were shopping, mostly because Artemis was along and since we went to the arcade, she could drag us shopping.

I wasn't too sure about walking around Gotham, however. Someone might recognize me and then I'd be surrounded by the paparazzi and reporters. Why I was such a big deal, I don't know. I was just Bruce's ward. I wasn't his son, and even if I was, there was nothing terribly special about me. They usually asked me questions about how Bruce treated me, what it was like living in luxury, being adopted by the most powerful man in Gotham, yadda, yadda, yadda. I hated being famous.

I disposed of my cup in a trash can by the side of the road and stuck my hands in my pockets. "So where's Conner and Megan?"

"On a date," Wally said, crossing his arms. He was still bitter over Conner and Megan being a couple, but I knew he'd get over it and date Artemis. Everyone knew except them.

I stretched with a yawn. "Man, I'm really tired."

"How late were you up last night?" Kaldur asked.

I shrugged. "Two or three. Batman and I were on patrol when we found Riddler. He was a little harder to defeat than the simple villains we have to face, but we got it done. I'm getting used to this sleeping schedule anyway. If he can survive on two hours of sleep, then so can I."

"I think you may be pushing yourself," Kaldur said. "What about when you start school?"

I shrugged, brushing the matter off, but I did ponder it. Would Bruce not allow me to go on patrol with him on school nights? Wally was right. School is hell on earth.

~

I was being shaken awake by Artemis. I cracked my eyes open to the harsh light. "We've been here for five minutes," she said. "How can you already be asleep?"

I sat up with a yawn. Sleeping on the bench outside the store hadn't been the best idea. My neck hurt. I stood up and followed my friends, still half asleep. "You shouldn't be sleeping like that in Gotham," Artemis scolded. "Who know what kind of creeps are waiting to snatch up a kid like you."

I shrugged. "You guys were right inside. I would've been fine." I actually hadn't planned on falling asleep. This was the third store Artemis had dragged us to and I could tell that even Kaldur was having a hard time trying to compose his boredom. I'd have to ask him for his secret later.

"Me feet hurt," I complained, glancing down at Artemis' shoes. "How can you even walk in those?"

"Years of practice," Artemis said with a shrug.

I sighed. If I was going to be dragged into this, at least I would do it my way. I jumped onto Wally's back, letting him carry me. "Can we go home now?"

"Just one more store," Artemis said. She was already carrying four bags. How much more did she need? Sure, Bruce had spoiled me when I first came to the mansion, but he hadn't overwhelmed me.

When we got to the store, I jumped down from Wally's back and he complained that I was getting too heavy for piggyback rides. The others went inside before me, and before I could follow them, a shiver was sent down my spine. The air felt different. Someone was watching me. I spun around, but saw no one suspicious or even glancing my way. Weird, I thought. I tried to shrug it off and followed my friends into the store, but it didn't do anything to calm my nerves. If someone attacked me here, someone could easily save me. I'm fine. No one's trying to kill you. Slade's gone and you're free. Your Bruce's ward and Robin now. Nothing's gonna hurt you. Just at that moment, someone grabbed me by the shoulders. My eyes widened and I was about to judo flip them when I heard laughter. "Dude! I totally got you! You jumped, like, three feet!"

"Wally!" I groaned.

I spun to face him, fists curled. That made him laugh even harder, wiping fake tears out of his eyes. "You look just like a mini Bat!"

"Shut up," I huffed, crossing my arms.

Wally grinned and ruffled my hair. "What's gotten into you?"

I shrugged. "Nothing."

Wally knitted his eyebrows together and slowly leaned forwards, lips pressed together as if he were doing a close inspection of something, causing me to lean back. "Uh, Wally? What are you doing." He seemed to be scanning me for something.

After a few more seconds, he straightened up. "You're a good liar, Dick, but you've gotta remember that we're on your side. You don't have to keep secrets from me or the team."

"I'm not," I lied. I honestly didn't want to burden them with worry because of a feeling I had. I had been totally petrified that Slade was going to come get me that sometimes my brain would trick me into thinking that he was there, waiting to capture me and force me into slavehood again. I was never going back!

Our conversation was interrupted by Artemis yelling that she was done and we were going home. Smiles spread across both our faces and I almost ran as fast as Wally out the door.