13--Sniper

I put on my Renegade uniform once again. It was on the small side, but I made adjustments where they were necessary. This was the only way I could get away from Slade without getting hurt again. I couldn't take being beaten again. Just when I think I've left it all behind me...he's there, raising the whip, brandishing the sword. I fear pain and I'll openly admit that. The memories that come with that pain are the worst. I remember the first beating Slade had ever given me very clearly...

His punches hurt a lot. Again and again he drove it into my small, underweight frame. It was the first time, of many, that I'd failed him.

"I don't want to do this, apprentice," Deathstroke said. "But you need to learn what will happen if you disappoint me. Let this be a lesson to you." He hit me again. "Remember this when I ask you to do something and do it right the first time. You won't be hurt if you don't fail." An even harder punch that broke my ribs, causing me to cry out in pain. "Do you understand?"

I looked up at the awful man with tears in my eyes. Blood ran from a cut in my forehead and mixed with the tears so I could hardly see. "Y-Yes, Master."

Deathstroke dropped me to the ground and turned to one of his men. "See that his wounds are taken care of. I'll give him a night of rest then we'll start again in the morning."

I didn't even eat that night, which wasn't good for me. I was far too skinny for my own good and the lack of nutrition was stunting my growth. I actually wanted to go back to that horrible orphanage. Anywhere was better than that awful cell...

"Renegade!"

I was roughly pulled out of my thoughts. "Y-Yes, Master?'

His voice was coming through my comm. "I expect an answer when I call you, stupid boy," he growled.

"I'm sorry, Master," I said quietly. "I was lost in thought."

"I don't need your excuses! Come here at once. I'm giving you a mission."

I swallowed. So he's trying to see if I'm a man of my word. Good. "I'll be right there."

~

I swung through the streets of Gotham, not sure what to do. This mission was an assassination. Could I really kill another human being again?

Memories of when I failed to do what I was told flooded my memories, making me shiver. I had to do this. This was just one criminal, right? Maybe if I just wound him and run, saying that I'm out of practice with a gun and hope he gets help right away...

I sighed. I knew I couldn't take that man's life. I'd wound him and take Slade's beating in silence. I landed on the roof of a building and loaded my gun, making sure my silencer was secure.

"So he sent you on a mission."

I spun around and saw Batman standing behind me. My eyes widened. Please play along! Please play along!

"So you ran back after all," Batman said. I could hear the bitterness in his voice. I knew he was faking it, but it still hurt. I said nothing. Slade wouldn't want me to talk to him. "I knew you'd go back eventually. Go back to killing. I hope you're happy with this decision when I'm forced to take you to Arkham for news on Deathstroke. Until then, Richard." Bruce turned and walked away. I was breathing heavily. He sounded like he actually wanted to take me down. Like I had actually betrayed him...

"Renegade," a voice said full of impatience. Slade. "Get the job done."

"Y-yes, Master," I said quietly. I jumped to the next roof and got into position. The man I was suppose to kill would walk out of this bar. He was planning a "silencing" of one of his men who betrayed him. I got my rifle into place and waited.

The door opened finally and several people walked out. I spotted my target, took in a deep breath, prayed I wouldn't hit any vital organs, and took aim...

I was tightening my finger on the trigger when I was suddenly grabbed by the back of the shirt and off my feet. My gun was knocked out of my hands and someone was pinning me to the ground, about to lock the handcuffs around my wrists. Slade knew I was stronger than this, so I had to put on a show. He was watching my every move after all, the creep. I freed myself from the grip and kicked my captor in the face. It was Wally. I bit my lip and tried to run. An arrow exploded in front of me, knocking me off my feet. I turned my flying into a roll and landed on my feet. Batman's grappling hook tangled around my legs and he gave it a tug, sending me sprawling. Blood ran out of my nose and my old dreams of being beaten by Batman came creeping back. I shook my head and tried to get free. Superboy grabbed under my armpits and held my arms back. "Hey!" I shouted. "Let go!"

"You just tried to kill someone," Superboy said. "We're taking you away."

"Let go!" I said, more desperately. "You don't understand-"

"Kid Flash," Batman ordered. "Knock him out."

I turned to see Wally, face bloody from my kick, come up to my with a slight grin. "Payback," he said quietly. He fist came down harder than I expected and it knocked me out.

~

"You didn't have to hit me so hard," I complained, rubbing my newly set broken nose. It hurt, a lot.

"Well, your kick was a little harsh too," Wally said with a shrug.

"Yeah, but you heal faster," I said, crossing my arms.

"Hey, I already said I was sorry, didn't I?"

"I guess..." I looked around my prison cell. "Are you sure this plan will work? I mean, will he really come for me? It seems like a big risk coming to Arkham of all places..."

"You should've thought of that before you changed the plans," Wally said. "You were just supposed to leave a tracker, but you broke it. Why?"

I swallowed. Would he think I was a coward for my reason? I hoped not. "I-I couldn't take being hurt anymore. If he found the tracker..."

Wally sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm in no place to ridicule you. I think you did the right thing."

"Really?" I asked. "Because I feel like this mission is gonna flop."

"Don't worry, Rob," Wally said. "He'll come. We've got a bargain for him."

"Oh?" Now I was curious.

"We'll "give you back" if he decides to come to Arkham, unarmed, tomorrow morning. He probably knows it's a trap, but it's worth a try, right?"

I closed my eyes. "I guess." I was suddenly feeling very tired. Wait...why? Was I sick? Was I put on a drug of some sort?

No...this was something from that past...but what?

The experiments. The drugs. What were they for. They hurt, but they wouldn't stop. They made me feel sick and dizzy.

"I've injected you with a drug, Renegade," Deathstroke said to me one day. "Do you want me to tell you what it's for?"

I swallowed. "Y-Yes, Master."

"It's in case you betray me and there's a chance I can't get you back. I'll press a button and you will die."

My eyes popped open. "Wally..." my voice was already raspy. "Batman...help...gonna...die..."

"What?" Wally said. "You're gonna die?!"

"Batman..." I gasped.

The speedster nodded and ran as fast as he could. It all hurt so bad...

Suddenly Batman was at my side asking what was wrong. All I could get out was "drug", and I think he figured it out. He told Wally to run me to the Medical Wing. He grabbed me and ran down the halls with me. Everything went by in a blur. Doctors and nurses asking me questions, an IV stuck in my arm, blood samples taken, someone squeezing my hand, and finally a mask going over my face, knocking me out once again

~
Yay! Another update. Not as good, but eh