16--Recovery

"Three weeks, ten days, and eleven hours since we've seen natural sunlight, Dick," Wally was complaining, as usual.

"You know you're almost healed, right?" I said with a smirk. "I'm only halfway there."

We sat in silence for a while. After Alfred had patched me up, I asked Bruce if I could spend more time with the team. He let me and I'd been confined to a hospital room with Wally ever since. He was exagerating about the not seeing natural sunlight part, but not by much. We'd only been outside a couple times since Slade attacked and they were always short.

"So, Bruce is sending you to school when you're all healed up?" Wally asked.

I shrugged. "That's the plan."

Wally groaned. "I'll prepare your funeral."

"It can't be that bad," I said. "Besides, Bruce said that I'm smarter than most kids my age, so it should be a breeze."

"How does that even work?" Wally asked. "You were in the circus, then an orphanage, then you were imprisoned by Deathstroke. How are you so smart?"

I shrugged. "Must be something that comes naturally to me, like hacking."

Wally groaned. "If you actually end up liking school, I'll throttle you."

I smirked. "Hey, Wally," I started. "Do you think I'll make any friends at school? I mean, I don't think any of you go to Gotham Acadamy, right?"

Wally shrugged. "Don't ask me,but I'm sure people will be tripping over themselves to be friends with you."

"Why?" I asked, not seeing any reason people would be doing that. I mean, what was so special about me?

"You're practically Bruce Wayne's son," Wally said. "And if you just be yourself, people will love your personality. Sure, some of them might try to hit you since you're younger then them, but you'd better give 'em a good left hook from me."

I was about to ask why anyone would have a reason to beat me up, but then I realized that I lived in Gotham and wasn't quite 5'1" yet. I hoped I would get a growth spurt soon. "I don't want to be friends with someone just because I'm Bruce's ward. I want to become friends because the person wants to be friends with me."

"Don't worry too much about it," Wally said with a yawn. He stood up and stretched. "Looks like I'm feeling a whole lot better. Do you think they'll let me out today?"

"Be careful or you'll unset your arm, again."

Wally shrugged. "I'm also hungry. You want anything, Dick?"

I shook my head. "No thanks."

"Back in a flas-"

"No." I stopped him, and he just smirked. He ran off to the kitchen to raid the fridge. I smiled and closed my eyes. I was greated by my usual terrors and my eyes flew open. I rubbed them, as if that could erase what Slade had done to me. Black Canary said that I had to embrace what happened to be before I could get over it, but the nightmares were just getting worse with every session I had with her. Wally barely slept since I would wake him up with my screaming or crying. He said he didn't mind, but I still felt bad. Bruce was coming today to talk to me about the nightmares. Black Canary had also suggested sleeping pills, so I wouldn't have any dreams, but I didn't want to deal with all that. I hated pills ever since Slade had tested drugs on me. I could hardly bring myself to swallow headache medicine.

Wally came back with a bag of sour gummy worms and a liter of Diet Coke, drinking it straight out of the bottle. "You sure you don't want anything, kid? It's already, like, three and you haven't eaten anything today. Come to think of it, I don't think you ate yesterday either."

"I throw up anything I eat," I told Wally. "And besides, I'm not hungry."

Wally gave me a concerned look. "If you're sure." He grabbed a handful of gummy worms and stuffed them in his mouth, his face screwing up when he remembersd how sour these were. He coughed as he choked on a few and waahed it all down with a giant gulp of Coke. I smirked as he flopped down on his bed. The idiot.

"Oh, by the way, Batman's here. He was talking with BC a few minutes ago. Want me to step out for a few minutes? I mean, it's gonna get super personal and everything and I don't wanna make you uncomfortable."

I shrugged. "If you don't mind."

Wally smirked. "Don't worry, man, I'm not judging. See ya in a bit."

"See ya." I watched his stuff another wad of gummy worms into his mouth and heard him gag and cough again as the sourness took over again. It was followed by a gulp of Coke and finally a sigh. He'll never learn.

A few minutes later, I heard footsteps coming my way. I took a deep breath and mentally prepared myself for the worst. Batman and Black Canary came in. Well, at least, that's who I was expecting. But instead, it was Black Canary and Bruce. My guardian wore a simple jacket over a t-shirt and jeans, which was a huge change from his usual suit coat and tie. He smiled at me and pulled up a chair by my bedside. "How's it going, Dick?"

I shrugged. "Could be worse, I guess."

"No change?" He asked. I could hear the disapointment in his voice. Then he masked his true emotions and smiled again. "Well, I guess this is what this session is for, huh?"

I nodded. "You think it'll work?"

Bruce nodded. "Definatly."

I nodded. "Okay." I took a deep breath. "Let's give this a shot."

~Three weeks later~

"We're here, Dick."

I looked outside the car window at Gotham Acadamy. "It's big."

Bruce looked back at me from the passenger seat. "Don't worry. Commisioner Gordon's daughter volunteered to show you around and help you with anything you need."

"Okay." I opened the door to the car before Alfred could get there and looked around at all the other kids. I had felt pretty stupid putting on my uniform today, but now that everyone else was wearing one, I didn't feel so out of place.

Alfred opened Bruce's door and the man stepped out. He put a hand on my shoulder. "I've told the faculty a couple details about your past, so they'll understand if you're ever feeling homesick or needing to talk to someone. I'll have my phone on me all day and no meetings. Sound good?"

I nodded, chewing my lip. "Bruce, do you think the other kids will like me?"

Bruce smiled and wrapped his ward into a hug. "Of course, kid. You'll have tons of friends in no time."

I nodded. I returned the hug and wished I didn't have to let go. Ever since the incident with Slade, I was rarely left alone. Now, I was being shoved into an alien envioment with strangers doing something completly new to me that these kids have been doing their entire lives. I took a deep breath, let go of Bruce, and was about to walk up the steps to go inside when Alfred stopped me. "You're lunch, Master Dick," he handed me a paperbag lunch and I smiled, giving Alfred a hug. He seemed surprised at first, then eventually returned it with a smile. "Thanks, Alfie," I said.

"Go on, Master Dick," Alfred said. "At this rate, you'll be late on your first day."

I nodded with a smirk. "Okay. See you later!" Before I could chicken out, I went up the steps and walked into the school. I was on my way to the office, following the signs, when I girl with bright red hair walked up to me. "Richard Grayson?" She asked. I simply nodded. She smiled and held out a hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm Barbra Gordon. I'm gonna be showing you around today."

I nodded. "Bruce told me."

She smiled. "Great. Now, if you'll just follow me..."

~

I'm done.

Sorry for the long wait! I can never end stories well.

Anywho, hope you guys liked this story! (You'd better if you got this far)

So, I might continue working with dc fanfics, and I might not. It depends if I find a worthwhile story line, I guess. The next will probably be about Damian tbh

Thanks for all the votes and comments! They mean a lot to me!