Chapter One

Chapter One

The blue sky, streaked with patches of light grey, greets me as I step out of my front door and approach our families' faded red Volvo, my older brother Embry in tow. Our father follows us out, kissing our mom on the cheek, and getting into the driver's seat. Embry and I both sit in the back, nursing our school bags in our laps, and wave goodbye to our mother as well. Today is no special occasion. Just another day of typical school at La Push High. It is Friday though.

We pull out of the driveway and begin the short journey to school. "It looks like it's a nice day today, don't you reckon kids?" Our dad comments. It is always raining in Forks and sunny days are a rarity, always appreciated when one occurs. 

"Defiantly," Embry agrees, a wide grin on his face. He loves nice weather.

"It's the first one we have had in a while. Good day for cliff diving." I smile. Embry nods his head in agreement. I turn away from him and look out the window, the lush green trees blur together. Despite the cloudless blue sky, evidence of rain from past days shows in puddles littered across the bumpy bitumen road. A particularly large one splashes as we drive through it.

We pull into the school parking lot. Students bustle past another in an excited manner most likely due to the good weather and try to locate their friends as they make their way to the school building while cars drive around, either looking for a spot to park or trying to leave. Embry and I say goodbye to our dad and walk towards the main entrance to La Push High, the secondary school that is located on the reservation. Suddenly Embry stops and I nearly crash into him. "What are you doing?" I hiss not wanting to cause a scene. Thankfully no one is bothered and no attention is payed to us. He ignores me and I see his body is tensed, his eyes locked on a group of three teenage boys. These three boys stand out from the other students and not only just because of their gigantic height and stature. Even on the coldest of days, they wear nothing but shorts and a shirt, seemingly unaffected by the temperature. They weren't always like this- the change happened many months ago. Each member was absent for weeks at a time, before coming back completely transformed. Its Sam Uley and his friends Jared and Paul. A girl in a few grades above me walks over to Jared whom embraces her in a passionate kiss, the two others turn away, and talk amongst themselves, occasionally looking over at us. They don't even bother to hide the fact that Embry is clearly the subject of their conversation. 

For the last few weeks now Sam has been watching Embry expectantly as if waiting for something. It all started once Embry hit a growth spurt, according to my parents. He has defiantly bulked up, no longer the skinny boy he was before. Muscles are clearly visible under the tight, dark blue shirt he has on even though he has never been to the gym in his life. His body transformation is unbelievable . Another thing that has changed is his temper. He used to be so carefree and now anything sets him off into anger. 

"Embry." I warn, watching his shoulders shake. I place a hand on his shoulder and pull so he turns and faces me.

 "They are always watching me." He snaps, shaking his head. "What do they want from me?" He asks, strain clear in his voice and my heart swells with concern. 

My brother doesn't deserve this. 

"I have no idea." I reply quietly, dropping my gaze. 

"Embry!" A voice yells. It's Jacob Black, one of Embry's closest friends. 

"Hey Jake!" I greet. 

"Hey Farren, great day today." He grins. Upon seeing Embry his smile drops and he lowers his voice. "It's them again isn't it?" He doesn't need to refer to them by name. Taking our silence as a yes, he lowly sighs, running a hand through his long black hair. "Have you tried talking to them?" He proposes.