Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Ever since that night that we went to Jacob's house and met Bella, Embry has changed. At first he just lost his temper more frequently, often blowing up over the smallest of things. His body changed even more then, growing taller and musclier than before. As if one giant growth spurt was enough. The last time I spoke to him was a few weeks ago. That was the last time I saw the old Embry.

//Flash Back//

"Embry stop, I'm sorry!" I yell as Embry walks toward the thick forest that surrounds our house. A light mist coats the ground, and the grass crunches under my feet as I run towards my retreating brother. He is almost at the light foliage, a few feet away at the most. 

 "No you're not!" He shouts, not even bothering to turn around. I run faster than I ever have before. I need answers! I am directly behind him now. "Em-"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" He roars, whipping around to face me. His whole body is trembling, and I slip on the wet grass as I suddenly stop. To think that all it took to start this was me demanding him to tell me what is going on. 

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? TELL ME!" I scream, staggering to my feet. The ache from my fall seems dull compared to the anger that is pulsing though me. Embry's breaths become ragged, his chest rising up and down. His eyes lock onto mine and I feel my heart race accelerate in fear and adrenaline. I stare back intently at him, trying not to show my fear. The back door flies open and I turn my head enough to see my parents running toward us. They reach us in seconds and my dad grabs me by my shoulders and pulls me back, standing in front of me.

As I regain my composure, dad walks over to Embry and whispers something that I can't catch. Embry stiffy nods, eyes still trained on me. Dad then whispers something else and Embry's eyes snap to his in desperation. I watch in horror as he and Embry disappear into the forest. I look at my mom who is watching them also, a sombre expression on her face. Her midnight black hair blows in the wind, and she turns to face me, wrapping a russet coloured arm around my shoulders. "What's wrong with him?" I whisper, brushing away any tears that may have fallen. 

"You will understand soon." She whispers back, tucking my wet hair behind my ears and kissing my cheek.

 "I want to know now. Tell me, please!" I whine. She shakes her head and her eyes meet mine. 

"Enough. You are too young." The finality in her expression indicates that our conversation is over. We walk towards the house in silence, hearing a single howl in the distance.

//Flash Forward//

I wasn't allowed to see Embry for over two weeks after that. I never got a straight answer from either of my parents which I suppose was better than lying to me. It was frustrating though, being excluded is not something I am fond of. The first time I saw Embry after his meltdown was at dinner. He had grown taller, now standing at around 6 foot 4. He looked different too. His hair was cropped short and a strange tattoo was on the top of his right arm that mom and dad didn't seem to have a problem with. Our parents kept the conversation going, never allowing me to get a word in. I tried talking to him after dinner but he said he wasn't feeling well and locked himself in his room.

I saw Embry at school the next day, standing with Sam Uley and his friends. Once we made eye contact he immediately looked away. It felt like a punch to the gut. The horror I felt that day was unbearable. He had joined them, the people he was terrified of and he seemed to be there voluntary, laughing with them. Like Paul and Jared, Embry followed Sam around like he was some type of leader. It was despicable.

Jacob and Quil were shocked at my story once I told them. Like me, they were worried at Embry's disappearance over the two weeks he was gone. When Embry returned, their worry was  replaced with anger and betrayel. We weren't even given a reason of why he suddenly left.