Chapter Seven

Chapter seven

The pack and I run to Jacob's house. He had shifted into wolf form minutes before, telling us that he needs to talk to us urgently. Fantastic.

I wonder what is so important Paul growls

You don't think he is hurt do you? Embry worries

Let's hear him out first guys, he might have a good reason? I say in defence

He better Jared grumbles

We head to different sections to shift back and I pull on a cream singlet and a pair of grey denim shorts over my undergarments. We walk out together cautiously and curiously but when the boy's eyes land on Bella cowering behind Jacob, they become furious. I, on the other hand, keep my cool and watch it unfold with an emotionless expression.

He told Bella.

"What have you done Jacob?" Sam demands, stepping forward. Paul then pushes past Sam and addresses Jacob before he can even defend himself.

"Why can't you just follow the rules Jacob?" He yells, throwing his arms into the air. "What the hell are you thinking? Is she more important than the whole tribe? Than the people getting killed?"

"She can help." Jacob says quietly.

"Paul." I warn, watching his body tremble.

"Help?" He shouts as his arms quiver, "Oh that's likely! I'm sure the leech-lover is just dying to help us out."

"Don't talk about her like that!" Jacob shouts back, hurt from Paul's words. A shudder ripples through Paul, along his shoulders and down his spine.

"Paul relax!" Sam commands. Paul shakes his head back and forth, trying to concentrate.

"Jeez, Paul. Get a grip." Jared mutters. Paul twists his head back toward Jared, curling his lip back in irritation. He then turns to glare at Bella but Jacob protectively stands in front of her.

"Right protect her!" Paul roars, as another convulsion heaves through his body. He throws his head back and releases an angry growl through his teeth.

"Paul!" Sam, Jacob and I yell together. But we're too late. He falls forward and explodes out of his clothes before he even hits the ground. He growls once more, eyes trained directly on Bella. In a split second, Jacob runs toward him.

"Jacob!" Bella screams. He leaps forward, shifting mid-air, and landing as his wolf. They meet each other head on, angry snarls echoing off the trees like thunder.

"Jacob!" She screams once more, staggering forward.

"Stay where you are Bella." Sam orders. She complies and watches in complete and utter horror as the two boys, well wolves, battle it out. Jacob seems to be winning due to his larger size but Paul is holding his own. It was pretty amusing to watch, it usually is when we fight each other. But it turns serious when Paul lands a bite on Jacob's paw. He yelps in pain and cradles it toward his body. Using this distraction, Paul turns to Bella.

I don't even think. One second I am standing with the pack, the next I am shifted and tackling Paul side on. He growls in anger and turns to Bella once more who is now frozen in complete shock. I don't let him move, jumping onto his neck and pulling him to the ground with me. We snarl and bite at one another until I grab his right leg. He cries out and bites the top of my neck. I yelp and wriggle free. Jacob then rams into Paul and knocks him into the trees.

"Take her to Emily's." Sam shouts toward the other boys who are watching the conflict with rapt expressions. By now, Jacob and Paul have disappeared into the forest but their snarls were still very loud. Sam runs after them, ready to shift and disappears into the forest. The growling and snapping is fading into the distance before quickly cutting off. Then Embry starts laughing and I widely grin. Bella turns to face him, wide eyed.