Chapter 6

AS THE PLANE taxied to the terminal, a crackly voice over the speakers announced that passengers could turn on electronics and cell phones. Seth powered on his phone — fifteen new messages.

There were too many to review now, the plane was about to disembark. He'd wait until he was checked in at the hotel. Notifications for the upcoming Gathering were in full force. Seth anticipated further instructions, directions and last minute schedule changes regarding the week's activities. Like a kid on the first day of school, he could hardly wait.

He took a taxi to his hotel, checked in and was escorted to his room. The polite young bellhop placed his suitcase on the luggage rack and gave him a quick tour of the lavish suite. Seth tipped the young lad then sat down heavily on the edge of the bed, weary from his travels.

Fishing his cell phone out of his pocket, he keyed in his password and reviewed the messages. Message one, "Security Alert, Zone 1," from Safenet. Safenet was the manufacturer of the security system Seth had installed in the store basement. He'd never actually had a break-in; the only other time he'd seen a message like this was during installation and testing.

His heart rate sped up. He checked the next message, "Security Alert, Zone 2." The next, "Security Alert, Zone 3."

"Shit!" Seth retrieved his briefcase and powered on his laptop. "Shit, Shit, SHIT! What the hell is going on back there? This had better be a false alarm."

His palms were sweaty and his hands shook as he accessed the secure site where his security system could be monitored online. As soon as an alarm was tripped, if his code wasn't entered into the panel at the top of the stairs, hidden cameras in each zone recorded any activity, each hour stored in a separate file.

He double-clicked the first video file. His eyes focused on the black and white image on the screen. A door slowly opened to reveal intruders entering his sacred crypt.

"What the... Mandy? And who's that? She has a BOY with her?" Seth let out a bellow of rage. His blood boiled; his hands clenched into fists.

"Breathe, Seth. Breathe," he said, trying to slow his heart rate. He had chest pain. He needed to calm down.

Where's my key? He checked the hidden compartment in his silver briefcase. It wasn't there. Damn it! It must be back at the store; Mandy must have found it.

Seth intently watched the Zone 1 video. They approached his sacred altar and searched the outer walls.

"No, no, no, no, NO!" He gnashed his teeth, not believing what he was witnessing.

Mandy, whom he'd employed for five years, trusted even, had just thrust a dagger into his heart. Quiet and reserved, with no friends to speak of, she'd been a dedicated and trustworthy worker — until now.

A loud rapping on the door broke his concentration. "Everything all right in there, sir?"

Seth went to the door and opened it a crack.

"Someone reported hearing a yell from this room. I'm just checking that you are OK," said the young bellhop.

"Oh yes, sorry," replied Seth. "I just stubbed my toe but I'm fine. Sorry for the disturbance."

"No problem at all, sir, just checking that all is well. Sorry to disturb you."

"Not at all." Seth closed and locked the door. "I wouldn't exactly say, All is well. I have a major problem on my hands," he muttered, settling back down in front of his laptop.

Well, their fate is sealed, he fumed, as the invasion continued. There were consequences of violating his trust and trespassing on his private property.