Chapter 15

MANDY AND RYAN crept in the shadows at the end of the block from the Occult Bookstore. Their attempt to visit the basement earlier that day had confirmed their suspicions. Their discovery of the basement had not gone unnoticed. The key no longer worked.

Ryan clutched a duffel bag and Mandy wore a knapsack stuffed with clothing they'd changed into along the way. They'd changed in store bathrooms, used rear exits, split apart and met up again — everything they could think of to lose anyone who might be following. Under cover of darkness, in head to toe black, they crept to the back door, resolved to find a way in.

Mandy's key slid into the lock. Holding her breath, she opened the door and stepped inside. Ryan locked it behind them, then clicked on a high performance LED flashlight.

She bent over with her hands on her thighs. "OK, we're in. I didn't see anyone following us. Did you?"

"No. We were careful. I doubt anyone could've followed. Do you need a minute to catch your breath?"

Borderline hyperventilating, she stood up and shook it off. "No. I'm good. Let's get this over with. I'll go get the key." Continuing the ruse that it was still on the floor where it had fallen out of Seth's briefcase was pretty much pointless — but what was she going to do, admit she used it and hand it to him in person?

Ryan started to unpack his duffel bag while she disappeared into the storefront. Not wanting to draw attention, she felt her way to the counter in darkness amid the eerie shadows cast from streetlights shining through the bars in the windows. The store had a different vibe at night, threatening and sinister, like the books were watching.

Crouching on all fours on the anti-fatigue mat, she reached under the counter and groped for the key. As she pulled it out, she turned her head and caught the glint of highly polished, black shoes, right beside her.

Her heart jumped into her throat. Seth? She gasped and fell backward. The key clattered to the floor. Like a crab, she scrambled away. But where he should be standing, there was no one there. She furrowed her brows. It was nothing, just a flippin' pair of his shoes behind the counter where he always left them. Everything looked different in the dark.

"Nice going, Dumbass." Mandy rolled her eyes, her heart beating violently in her chest. She shook her head, retrieved the key and headed back to the hallway, steeling herself for what lie ahead.

"Everything OK?" Ryan asked.

"Yeah fine. I just had a scare from a pair of Seth's shoes. Luckily he wasn't in them at the time." She took a deep breath and leaned against the wall. "So, what's next?"

"Remember the button we had to push to get out of the basement?"

"Yeah."

"It's part of a security system that seems to be controlled by the panel we saw on the top of the landing. This metal door likely connects to the electrical circuitry of all of it. By connecting this motorcycle battery to the door, I'm hoping to fry the entire system."

"What about a backup system?" Mandy asked.

"If the electronics are fried, even a backup generator won't do any good. The circuitry will be blown."

"Are you sure it's safe? You won't electrocute yourself?"

"Well, pretty sure. I think I've covered all of the bases. I've connected the red and black jumper cables to the battery terminals and I've secured the other ends to these wooden broom handles. Electricity doesn't conduct through wood, so I should be good to go."

"Boy, that's reassuring." Mandy winced.

"Well, I'm not sure it'll work, but I've done everything I can think of to ensure our safety. Stand back, I'm going to do this."