Chapter 23

"DETECTIVE MARCONI," DINO answered his cell.

"Sir, I have a Mr. Tate on the line. He was hired by Ryan Taylor last night for a boat charter from Navy pier to the 31st Avenue marina. Apparently, this Ryan fellow was acting a bit strange. He thought someone was following him and his mom. Mr. Tate saw the news about a homicide at the marina last night and thought he'd better call in."

"Patch him through," Marconi instructed.

After the phone interview with the boat captain, Marconi called the homicide unit to find out who was assigned to the shooting at the marina. Dispatch patched him through to the lead detective.

"Detective O'Brien," a male voice answered.

"Detective O'Brien, Detective Marconi. I understand you're point on the 31st Avenue Marina homicide."

"That's right."

"You have an ID on the vic?"

"Yeah, name's Kazam Chahal. Drives a yellow cab. We found the cab abandoned on the Dan Ryan expressway next to an open manhole."

Marconi furrowed his eyebrows. "We need to talk. Mind if I come to your crime scene?"

"Come on down. I'll be here."

Marconi hung up the phone. The case was getting bigger by the hour.

* * *

IN THE PUBLIC restroom at the Brookfield zoo, Mandy cleaned herself up and rendered first aid to her wounds. After she was done, she found a quiet cafeteria, grabbed a sandwich and Coke and sat down at a table in an unoccupied corner. She checked her phone. Still nothing. She stared at it, willing it to ring while she absently ate her lunch.

Chewing the last mouthful, she made a decision. Washing it down with the last gulp of Coke, she dialed zero and asked to be put through to the Chicago Police headquarters. She had to know if Ryan was there.

Her palms began to sweat. She hoped beyond hope that he'd be there. The operator at the precinct patched her through. It was ringing.

"Marconi," answered the man on the other end of the line.

"Um, hello. I was calling to inquire if Ryan Taylor was at the precinct. They put me through to you," Mandy said.

"And you are?"

"Can't you just tell me if he's there?" she pleaded.

Marconi hit a button on his phone. "Look, I'd like to help you. Can you please tell me what is going on?"

Mandy sighed. "No, I really can't. Not until I know about Ryan."

Marconi hesitated. "I have his cell phone."

"What? How did you get his cell phone? Did he drop it off? Has he been in?" Mandy's pulse was racing; her stomach churned.

"No, he hasn't been in, we're trying to locate him. What can you tell me about what's on the phone? Something going on at the Occult Bookstore?"

"Yes! Is it enough evidence to put them away?"

"It's being reviewed, our forensics people are on it right now. What more can you tell me about it?"

"Haven't you watched the video? It's pretty obvious, I think."

Silence.

Mandy was getting suspicious. "You said you have his phone. You DO have it don't you? You've watched the video, yes or no?"

"Look, Mandy Burkhardt, isn't it?" asked Marconi.

She gasped and hung up. "Crap!" she muttered. What the hell is going on? How did Ryan's phone end up at the police station without him? Where the hell is he?