Chapter 9

I poke my fork around the pasta dish until it finally captures a few noodles, moaning as soon as the flavor hits my tongue. No wonder this is Holden's favorite thing to cook; it's like God baked it himself.

"No doing that either."

My eyebrow quirks up at him and I quickly swallow my food, "What?"

"Moaning."

My face flares, immediately a light blush spreads through my cheeks. Holden winks at me, causing my blush to deepen further, "Sorry, H. Can't help it if I'm irresistible."

An easy smile lights up on his face, and I can't help but smile back at him. I know we haven't known each other for long, but it feels like he's been around me for years. Things are just so easy with him. He brings light back to me.

We both hear a few dings, turning our attention to the sounds. My phone. I push away from the table, pulling the device out of my small purse. After unlocking it, I see that I've received three messages from Luke within the past minute.

'B home frm the slumber party early tmrw.'

'Ill b @ our house @ 10.'

'Dad wnts 2 c u.'

I sigh, bringing my hand up to rub my forehead. I can feel an impending headache coming on. The last thing I want to do is go and see Luke's father. When they're together, Luke is even harder to handle. Not to mention, harder to please.

"What's wrong?"

My attention snaps to Holden who looks at me with concern plastered on his face. I shake my head, not wanting to get into it. We were having a perfectly good time before; I don't want these stupid messages to ruin it.

"It's nothing."

"Tatum.."

"Holden.."

Holden gets up, walking towards me. He easily takes the phone out of my hands, checking the messages still pulled up on the screen, "No."

"What?"

"You're not going over there, Tatum."

I roll my eyes, snatching my phone back from his hands, "Don't tell me what to do, Samuels. I don't exactly have a choice either way."

Holden's fists are clenching and unclenching and I can tell he's beginning to get angry. He gets angry at the smallest things, but I know he won't hurt me. He would never lay a hand on me like that.

"Break up with him. Leave his sorry ass. He doesn't deserve you anyway. He deserves to be rotting in a cell."

I watch as Holden begins to pace, "You already know why I can't."

"Actually, Tatum, I don't. You're afraid and I get that, but I'm right here. I fight for a living. You don't think I could protect you? Because I'd make damn sure he doesn't ever touch you again. I don't want anybody else touching you in any way."

My jaw drops, my eyes following Holden as he crosses back and forth. The room is spacious and I can tell he's holding himself back from breaking anything. If he doesn't calm down soon, the whole room will be trashed in mere seconds.

"We barely know each other." My voice is only a whisper, but by the way he whips around to face me, I know he heard it. He stalks towards me, his breathing becoming heavier. We lock eyes and I want to look away, but I can't. He walks towards me until we're less than a foot apart; I have to tilt my head up to meet his eyes.

"That's bullshit and you know it. Who cares if we haven't known each other for long? Don't downgrade what you told me and don't you dare fucking act like I told you nothing! And I know you have feelings for me. I can see it in how you look at me. The way you talk to me. The way you take care of me and listen to me. And I sure as hell felt it when I kissed you."