Chapter 15

"I still don't understand why you won't just stitch me up, T."

I flash Holden a small smile, rolling my eyes at him. After his conversation with Josh, he's been more tense, more wound up. Until he's healed, he doesn't have training as a way of relieving all the pent up tension inside him. Holden has been so focused on his own tension that he hasn't even realized I'm more tense when he's around.

It takes everything in me not to blow up on him with all of my questions.

"I'm not qualified to, Samuels."

Holden huffs, reminding me of a small child who throws fits. His voice is only a mumble, but he makes sure that I can hear it, "You've done it before."

The door clicks as Holden's doctor strolls in, immediately motioning for Holden to lay down on the hospital bed. Holden groans, showing his discontentment, but follows the doctor's orders regardless. The doctor pushes Holden's shirt up to his chest, exposing the covered wound.

I watch the doctor as he peels back the tape I used; a look of satisfaction crosses his face when he discovers the minimum amount of blood staining the white bandaging. After he discards the soiled gauze, he starts poking at Holden's skin all around the wound.

"How does that feel, Mr. Samuels?"

"Like you're poking me?"

I nudge Holden, mouthing at him to be nice. I know he doesn't want to be back in here, but it's not like we had a ton of options.

"No pain?"

Holden shakes his head no, closing his eyes as he makes himself more comfortable on the bed. "That's good. Miss Stevens, it appears like you've taken quite good care of Mr. Samuels."

I quietly thank the doctor, wanting to be out of here just as much as Holden. My eyes begin to wander around the room, noting how everything is based off of a white color scheme. The place seems bland, but I suppose it's meant to. Hospitals aren't exactly a place of joy.

"Oh, and Miss Stevens?"

My head moves to meet the doctor's eyes, "Yes?"

"Doctor Raymond would like to see you. He wants to check on your concussion. Room 207."

I nod, quickly kissing Holden on the cheek before walking out of the room. Finding room 207 shouldn't be very hard; I have this hospital memorized. After walking around for about ten minutes, I finally reach the room, taking liberty upon myself to just walk in.

The doctor is leaning on the bed, waiting for me. When I walk in, he looks up from his clipboard, motioning for me to sit on the bed in front of him. I oblige, wanting to get this whole ordeal over with. I've always hated hospitals, but spending so much time in this hospital for the last two week has increased that hatred tenfold.

"Keep your eyes open and focus on the light. Don't move your head."

I sit up straight, wincing when the bright light is shone directly into my eyes. After waving the small flashlight back, forth, up, and down for a few minutes, Doctor Raymond clicks the light off, relieving my eyes.

"Your ability to focus seems in check."

"It was never out of check."

I'm frustrated and just want to grab Holden from his room and leave. I told them over a week ago that I felt fine; still they insist on monitoring me like a small child.

"Have you been getting headaches?"

I think over the past week. The headaches had gone away until I overheard the conversation between Josh and Holden, but I'm sure they're only back due to stress. If I tell him I've had even one headache, I've no doubt in my mind that he'll try to keep me here overnight.