Chapter 14

It's been five days since Holden got released from the hospital and I've rarely spent time away from his bedside. I definitely haven't left his apartment since he's been back. Amelia and Izzy helped to take care of him some, but Holden told me he preferred when I did it.

He won't let anybody but me change his gauze.

Holden's excuse for that is I'm the one who saw the nurses change it more often; he feels like I'm slightly more qualified. But I know what the real reason is.

Any time I change his gauze, I end up straddling him.

I glance over at Holden eating the lunch I made for him; thankfully he hasn't refused any foods or meds I've given to him. He just takes whatever I give him with a small smile — no questions asked.

I honestly think he likes it; the whole me taking care of him thing. But he absolutely hates not being able to train.

Holden's definitely been walking a lot better since he came home; he doesn't need my assistance anymore as long as he doesn't walk for too long. Training, however, won't be doable for a few more weeks when his stitches and soreness have completely vanished.

After he's done eating, Holden walks into the living room where his family is. They're leaving today, so they're in there packing all of their clothes and "American souvenirs."

I stay in Holden's bedroom, allowing them to have their small bit of family time. I'm partially glad to be left alone in here; Holden's presence is wonderful, but I need alone time to think over everything from the last two weeks.

One day I was training in Josh's gym and in waltzes a narcissistic maniac; now I'm at said maniac's apartment nursing him back to health after my ex-boyfriend stabbed him in the stomach.

As much as I've tried to push Luke's words out of my mind, they always seem to come back to me in full force. "Samuels isn't who you think he is, sweetheart. Just remember that."

Images run through my head, crashing into me like a wrecking ball. On one hand, I see Luke. The Luke who hit me and yelled at me for pure enjoyment. The Luke who warned me about Holden. They're the same person, I know, but I trust one thing and not the other.

If Luke said one thing that made sense, it was that he had nothing to lose from telling me the truth.

On the other hand, Holden's bright eyes and adorable smile come into mind. Holden, who opened up to me about something dark in his past. Holden, who saved me from Luke.

What could he possibly be hiding?

I'm so lost in thought that I don't even hear the knocks against the door. I only look up when a figure sits next to me on the edge of the bed. The questions are obvious when Isabella looks at me, but she remains silent.

I wipe the salty tears off of my cheeks, taking a deep breath to calm myself down. She pulls me into a hug, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I don't know what that was, so let's just pretend it never happened." I fake a laugh, but it sounds real enough for her to laugh with me.

We walk out of Holden's bedroom just in time to witness Amelia practically squeezing the life out of him. I know he must be in pain, but he's putting on a brave face and hugging his mom back. When Amelia finally pulls away, small tears flit down her cheeks as she looks at her son.

"You have to come visit us more; I miss seeing my baby boy."

Her hand comes up to her face, lightly dabbing her tears away. Holden looks embarrassed. He brings his hand up to rub the back of his neck. "Mum, I'm twenty."