XVI

It was that time of the year.

Snow was falling on the cold, wet ground creating a winter wonderland. A cool feeling filled the castle as icicles hung from outside of it.

Ariana hated the cold weather but loved the month of December because her favorite holiday was during this time. Christmas. And today was Christmas Eve.

The king was throwing a Christmas Eve celebration like he did every year. Ariana hadn't seen the king recently and started to worry. At one point she was almost convinced that the king really was using her. But she didn't know. The king's mood could change so quickly. Or Justin... Ariana didn't know what to call him at this point.

"Can someone help me with this," the voice of Harry groaned as he struggled to lift a wooden table. All the servants were currently setting up for the celebration. Ariana looked around and waited for someone to go and help Harry. But after no one spoke for a couple of seconds, she gave in.

"I'll help," she said. Harry's eyes lit up at the sight of her and he gave her a smile.

"Thanks," he said. "Just take this side and I'll take the other."

As Ariana reached for the end of the table, Harry's hand brushed against hers. This hands felt dry and cracked. Although Ariana thought nothing of it, Harry paused for a brief moment and stared at her. His green eyes stared down at her and he expected some sort of romantic moment. But he quickly looked down and rushed to the other side of the table.

Ariana noticed his behavior. Did he still like her? How long would it take until he got over her?

The two lifted the table and started to walk to the other side of the grand hall. The table was so heavy it felt as though something was pushing it down. When they finally reached the correct spot, they set the table down. Ariana sighed and dusted her hands. She put her hands on her hips and looked at the work they had done so far.

So far, it was looking absolutely amazing. Simple white streamers wrapped around the pillars, small decorations scattered throughout the hall, and the feeling of Christmas filled the air. Ariana smiled to herself. Just outside the window, fell little snowflakes from the sky.

Even further, Ariana spotted a black crow perched on the branch of a tree. The form of its body stood out in the white snow. The bird seemed almost like a statue to her for it did not move. Ariana examined it for a few more seconds and it still had not moved.

Suddenly, an eerie feeling rushed through Ariana's body. It seemed as though the crow was staring right at her. Her smile faded as she stared back at the non-moving bird. She could swear it was looking right at her, not taking its eyes off of her.

"Ariana!" a voice said. Ariana snapped out of her gaze and twisted her neck towards the voice. It was Rachel.

"What are you doing?" Rachel asked. "If the king doesn't see you working, you'll be in big trouble."

"I know, sorry," Ariana replied. "I just zoned out for a second." Rachel nodded and immediately got back to work. And before Ariana went back to her own work, she glanced through the window once more.

But the crow had left. An unsettling feeling formed in her stomach but she tried to ignore it as she started to throw the tablecloths on each table. She quickly turned her focus back to the Christmas party and got her work done as quickly as she could, for it was almost time for the celebration.