XXVI

The next morning had been hectic. Word about Edgar's visit had spread throughout the whole castle and everyone was shook with fear. Ariana had returned to the servant's room and no one could help but stare at her as they eyed the diamond ring on her finger.

Some envied her. Others didn't know what to think of her.

She could feel her cheeks burning as everyone's eyes were on her. An unsettling feeling lodged in her stomach. She couldn't take it anymore.

"Alright, everyone," she spoke up. Every head in the room snapped in her direction. Their eyes were wide because they were shocked she even had the courage to speak up. Their hands and feet came to a pause as they listened to what she had to say.

"Instead of staring at me like I'm a freak, why don't we work together." A silence. All she received were blank faces. She could see Rachel in the corner, squinting her eyes into slits as if she was trying to figure out some sort of equation.

"If you were wondering, yes Justi- I mean the king asked me for his hand in marriage. And I am not afraid or ashamed to say it," Ariana exclaimed, her chest puffed up.

Not a single word. Did these people have mouths to speak with? She was getting frustrated.

"Why should we help you," one servant spoke up. Her voice contained hate and anger. Ariana threw her hands up in the air in more frustration.

"The king is not the same evil man he used to be. You cannot deny that, I am sure." There were a few nods from different servants. A feeling of hope boiled inside Ariana. She was satisfied.
"We are all working together. Us servants, the king, and the guards. We are not against each other. We are a- a team," she spoke. The servants listened to her motivational words. Each one having second thoughts about her. Ariana sighed.

"The Council's soldiers are coming. The only way we can defeat them is if we work together." Although her words sounded a bit cliché, the servants luckily agreed with her.

"And what if we don't work with you," one servant snarled. Ariana snapped her head towards the voice. Rachel.

Her fists tightened at her sides. Each minute passed by like seconds. They had no time to fool around.

"Well then good luck working on your own," Ariana said. "All I'm saying is that we can easily defeat the Council if we work together."

Rachel's eyes lingered on Ariana's until she finally looked away. They were running out of time.

"Since when did you have the authority to tell us what to do?" Rachel suddenly continued. A burning feeling rose up in Ariana's stomach and she felt like she would burst at any second.

"I am not telling you what to do. I am saying what we should do." She sighed. "Now can we work together?" She prayed they would say yes. Her stomach tightened as she awaited their reply.

Another silence. She thought all hope was lost.

After a few seconds however, every head in the room started to nod. A wave of relief crashed down on her. It was comforting to finally see that they were agreeing with her. She smiled brightly. Her head cranked towards Rachel who was staring right at her. She seemed to be conflicted and didn't know what to say. But Ariana immediately turned her attention back to the other servants.

"Well, there's no time to lose. Let's get this started."

* * *

Everything was happening so quickly. Guards rushed back and forth through the castle. Frightened servants scurried all over, helping the guards prepare for battle.