XXVIII

The carriages rattled along the uneven ground. The sound of hooves clapping on the ground echoed through the air. A cool fall breeze was flowing just outside the door.

A soon-to-be queen rested her head on her mighty king. His soft robes were a perfect cushion for her small head. His arm curved around her body, his cheek resting on her soft hair. His luxurious crown fit just perfectly on his head, and pieces of his hair stuck out in different places.

The lady's lips curved upward ever-so slightly as she rested on her fiancé's lap.

Two guards sat across from them, seeming almost uncomfortable as they tried their best not to stare at the couple. At least two guards were always required in the king's carriage in case of an attack.

Sun gleamed through the glass windows, fully illuminating the carriage's interior.  The autumn leaves painted the world a beautiful orange and brown. A peaceful world around them. A warm breeze traveled through the air, causing the leaves to dance in the wind.

It was a perfect day.

Suddenly, the carriage jumped ferociously. Ariana stirred from her nap, her eyes bewildered. But Justin rubbed her arm with comfort.

"Damn roads," he said. "The stones are always uneven right here," he muttered as he glanced outside. Ariana nodded and rested her head back on his lap.

But the carriage jumped again, harsher this time. Ariana sat up as did Justin. The carriage came to a halt. A yell was heard from outside. The two guards in front of them took a hold of their swords and bolted outside.

A bullet of fear shot through Ariana's body. Her eyes widened in alarm as she grabbed a hold of Justin's arm.

"What's going on?" she asked anxiously. She didn't want this wonderful day to be ruined. What could go wrong now?

Justin lifted his crown from his head, ran his fingers through his hair nervously, and rested the crown back down on his head. He mumbled something Ariana couldn't make out.

"What?" she asked pleadingly. Justin's head cranked towards the window.

"Thieves," he said louder. "Always getting in the damn way."

Ariana's eyes looked like those of a bewildered bull. Justin noticed her nervousness and reached an arm out to her.

"Don't worry I'll take care of this. They get in the way all the time." With that, he stepped out of the carriage turning back to say to Ariana, "Do not get out of this carriage. Understand?"

Ariana nodded. Justin shut the carriage door, leaving her alone inside. She pressed her face against the cold window to get a good view of what was going on. Four men stood in front of four guards and the king. The men wore all black, covering every part of their body except their eyes. She looked for the other carriages carrying the other servants, but they must have gone up further, for she saw no carriage besides the one she was in.

Justin had his hand on his sword as did the other guards. Ariana noticed that the thieves didn't have swords on them but daggers.

"Alright what is it that you want?" Justin said getting right to the point. The thieves glanced at each other and nodded. One of them stepped forward.

"Sorry to bother you, your majesty but we need directions to Opassen." Justin raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms. Opassen was a village far off from the castle. Lets just say that place is the opposite of friendly. Criminals and outcasts lived there. It was not a place you would want to live in. Its name "Opassen" after all was the Dutch word for "beware".