Chapter 36

(Sorry this is so late! I hope you enjoy it (: )
"May I have the blue one with the base balls on it?" I asked the cashier and then thanked her for the balloon after paying. We just got to the hospital and I already felt weirded out. The sounds, smell, feel of hospitals in general just freak me out.
"Do you think he'll be awake?" Hunter asks me as we walk to the elevator. I shrugged, not really knowing. He could either be up playing with his cars or watching TV. I walked into the waiting elevator, and closing the doors behind Hunter. I pressed the button that read 3. I was nervous, I didn't know what he was gonna look like. I just didn't know and the not knowing was killing me. The doors opened to the 3rd floor with giant windows letting in a breath taking view of the hospitals beautiful landscaping. We took a right where there were doors. As they opened, I saw his door... The one with all the cars and baseballs and truck stickers all over the door. I let Hunter lead the way so I could catch my breath before seeing him. Hunter opened the door and smiled at his view. He looked back at me and took my hand, leading me into the room. There he sat, with Karen. He was sitting up right a little, slowly eating some jello.
"Hi NeNe!!!" He said with all the excitement left in him. I smiled, setting my purse down against the wall. I pulled aside an empty chair.
"Hunter, sit here" I asked him. He protested at first till I told him I'd sit on his lap. I got situated on Hunters lap, feeling his arm wrap around my waist was comforting due to the fact that I'm sitting in front of my sick nephew.
"So how are you feeling, squirt?" I asked him. He smiled and looked into my eyes. He looks so weak, so tired too.. not the little boy I know.
"Ok.. I'm not very hungry." He says, looking over at his mother who was seated over at the window. She shook her head.
"One more bite, Bubby... then I'll let you sleep." she tells him. He takes a little spoon full and eats it. Karen stood up and took the jello, placing it on his tray. He slowly laid down, pulling the covers over him.
"Are you comfy?" I asked, smiling down at him. A dimple on his right cheek popped, signifying he was smiling. I let him rest as I leaned back a bit resting my head on Hunters shoulder. "So what are they saying?" I asked Karen when Owen drifted into a light sleep.
"Well... it's not looking too good. The cancer spread, it started at his lung and now it's everywhere. They're really surprised how responsive he is right now, but they aren't giving him much longer." My stomach churned. He couldn't be dying... he's just a young boy. I didn't want to show any sign of emotion yet, cause it's too early and you have to have some hope deep inside. I look at Hunter, his eyes are on the floor.
What didn't help is that he was leaving tonight. We've been here for 4 days, but Hunter has too leave to get back to the studio. I'm staying back, but only for a little. I couldn't help but already feel lonely, when he's right here with me. I hate feeling grief, and sorrow... But most people don't, it just feels like this is all I've gone through my entire life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We walked through the airport in silence. I walked with my hands in my pockets, side by side with Hunter, who was rolling his luggage behind him.
"I'm really sorry that I'm leaving, but I know how strong you are without me." He finally speaks. I look at him, giving a half smile. "You don't have to hide your emotions from me, it's not good for you." He says. I nod.
"It's better if I just keep it to myself for now." I admit. He just nods along, knowing that he shouldn't argue with me. We get too the security line where we had to part. He places his bag on the ground along with his suite case, and turns to me. I walk into his arms, and stay there forever. I had to bite my tongue so hard so that I wouldn't cry. I knew very well that once I started, I wouldn't be able to stop. After being in his arms long enough, we un hooked. I looked at him, knowing that I'd see him in a few days, but every goodbye we have is always dramatic.
"Be strong for me, Stella. I know you can. I love you ok, and I'm here for you whenever you need me." I says, kissing me before I could say anything. I released our lips and just looked at him.
"I should go. I love you too, and I'll call you tomorrow morning. Have a safe flight ok?" I tell him. He nods, and kisses me one more time. I held on to that one a little longer, not wanting to let go of him. He picks up his bag and grabs the handle bar of his suite case, and walks into the security line. I waited at the same spot, making sure he made it through. When he did, he turned back to me and blew a kiss. I caught it and placed it on my heart. I blew on back to him, and he did the same. I mouthed I love you, waved, and then walked out of the airport.
When I got back to the car, I lost it. I cried, hands on the steering wheel, just loosing it.