one

Sleep evaded me. My thoughts kept me up most nights. And the morning light prevented me from sleeping as much as I needed. I was tired, but nothing would help me.

So many things have happened. So many things weighed down on me and I felt everything I did was a mistake. Everything I've done since the day the bombs dropped.

I sat up in my bed, slipping on my worn boots before stepping into the decayed floor. I stood and found myself walking to the living room. I stopped and stared at the couch. The old worn couch that was mine 210 years ago. I can still picture it. Pristine and soft. I can still picture Nate and I sitting on it, enjoying what was on the TV. When I was pregnant with Shaun he would bring my dinner over to me so I wouldn't have to struggle off the damn thing. The memory only brought more pain to me.

Shaun... He wasn't a babe anymore. I missed his childhood. Hell, I missed his entire life. And I'd never get to see him again. Tears stung my eyes. My list of mistakes stabbed my heart again. I should have sided with the Institute. At least then I'd get to see him. Instead, I was cast away.

I clenched my teeth together and went back to my room to grab some things. I grabbed my road leathers and a few weapons. My stimpacks and any other chems I had lying around went in my pack. This sleepless night I wouldn't cry myself to dawn. I needed to find something else to do with my time.

Before I could leave Sanctuary Hills though, I heard my name being called.  "Miss Samantha?"

I turned slowly to see my old Mr. Handy, Codsworth. He had been the one to snap me out of my shocked stupor upon leaving the vault. Even if he was a robot, I considered him my family and my close friend.  "Codsworth!"

"Where are you going at this hour?"

I forced a smile on my lips and shifted my weight. "I need to clear my head. Travel for a few days. I'll bring back supplies. We needed to start a garden here anyway, right?"

"Would you like me to accompany you?"

I shook my head.  "No, not this time. I'll be back within the week. Tell Preston."

His eye stocks and arms sunk slightly in a gesture of disappointment. I felt guilty, but I needed time to think.  Alone.