thirteen

Upon entering Sanctuary, I ran over to Sturges and asked him if I gathered the things we needed. Then I started to tinker about, crafting things necessary for the settlement, such as generators and defenses. Hancock tried to help, but he couldn't keep up.

"I have never seen anyone whip up things like you do," he had commented, a little awestruck. I only gave him a little smile and went back to building a generator from scratch. I worked until sunset, sweat covering my body. When I retired for the night, Hancock was surprisingly in my living room sitting at the table.

"Hey sister. We staying here then?"

I nodded, wiping my hands on a rag I picked up from the island. "Yeah, you can stay here." I sat on the couch and turned on the old radio to relax. Hancock eventually joined me on my couch.

"This house is pretty well kept. I've never walked on anything so clean, let alone ate on it."

I half smiled in sadness. "This was where I lived before the war."

Hancock pulled a pack of cigarettes out and lit one. "Really?"

I only nodded. My hand reached up to the ring I wore on the chain again. It was always warm. My thoughts turned to my son. His nursery was gone. I had scrapped everything in it one day out of anger. I was tired of walking in there every day and crying. I never got to raise my son in it. I'm sure Hancock saw the tears that welled up in my eyes because I felt his hand rest on my shoulder. I thought about shrugging it off, but it was nice to feel someone's touch.

"Just one day you wake up, and everything you worked for your entire life is gone. Everyone you cared for is gone," I whispered. If I said it any louder, my voice would have shook.

The ghoul tightened his hand on my shoulder, but then he pulled me into an embrace. "I'll never skip out on you, sister."

I didn't move for a long time, only thinking of my late husband. He wasn't a jealous man, but everyone knew I was his wife. It felt almost wrong to be close with someone else like this. But my heart hurt, and I needed the hug. I needed the shoulder to cry on. I relaxed my muscles and wrapped my arms around him tightly. My face was enveloped by his frock coat and I cried softly into his shoulder. I couldn't tell you how long we stayed like that, nor could I tell you when I had fallen asleep.

I woke up on the couch, covered up by the frock coat. The sun was shining and it felt warm. I sat up and held the coat to my chest. Glancing around, I noticed Valentine was in my kitchen instead of who I actually expected.

"Well good morning. I see you've been getting chummy with a certain mayor," he said.

I rolled my eyes and laid the red coat over the back of the couch. I stood up slowly and made my way to sit across from my friend. "Hancock and I are friends. There isn't anything wrong with that."

Valentine crossed his arms over his chest, his exposed, metal hand catching some light of the sun. "You have a twinkle in your eye when you mention him."

I had to admit to myself, Hancock was growing close to me. He was an interesting man, and someone I could rely on. He was trustworthy and in our many days of travel, he has always watched my back. It was natural to grow close to someone like that. I bit my lip out of nervousness. Valentine and I had done the same thing. We built just as much trust for each other. I didn't get why Hancock would be different in my eyes then.

"Valentine, can I ask you something?"

"I'm all ears."

Before I could ask him what I wanted, I heard a knock at my door. I turned around to see Preston opening my front door. "Hey, don't mean to interrupt, but I just got word of a settlement that needed help."

I nodded once and turned back to Valentine. He golden eyes stared at me intensely. I knew that look meant we had a later engagement. I smiled at my synth friend and hopped out of my chair. "We'll continue this conversation after Garvey gives me the details."