Trust Me

Lucian dispassionately said, "Release her, Nightsap. You know it's a treaty violation."
Jonathan grinned inanely. "What if... I don't want to?"
Lucian looked at Blue, realizing who she was.
"B-blue? You will. Or you may be slaughtered."
"Stop! Stop. I am a person too, you know. I will decide."
Everyone looked at her, confused. Even the smallest child knew to respect the Prince. Lucian was widely known to have a terrible temper. He had done nothing, around her, at least, to deserve a reputation like that.
" Unhand her! Now!"
"Step away, JonJon. I'll deal with this." Blue said.
"I will go to the palace with you, Lucian, but in return, you will not punish Jonathan, agreed?"
He grudgingly agreed to her terms. Jonathan looked forlorn as they rode away in stony silence. She tried to smile at him, but she had the sense that she was in a lot of trouble.
__________________________________________
At the palace, she was held and questioned until late in the night.
When she was released, having convinced the Grand Official of the fact that she was not:
A. Getting kidnapped by Jonathan.
B. Seduced by his charms.
C. Running away with him.
Lucian hovered nearby, watching for a lie the entire time.
He hadn't found one.
He walked her home, and all was forgiven. He laughed at her attempts to tell non-awkward jokes. Then he said,
"I'm sorry, I'm a bit rude sometimes."
"You were as gentlemanly as possible in the situation."
"I am going through a rough time... As you know, I'm getting married soon. But recently I learned that I don't want to be married. I found something, no, someone, that means the world to me. I would give this person anything, but I can't give them what I wish I could. I wish I could give you my whole body, soul and mind... But I can't." He waited, then realized that his careful third person referencing had dropped. He said 'you' instead of 'them'.
"Lucian... I like you a lot."
"No, you don't, trust me."