five | Long Live the King

I sat at my desk chair shocked and confused. The king was in a coma and the palace doctor is unsure if he will wake up. My heart broke for the kind hearted Weston. He did not need this complication right now, this tragedy yet to unfold upon the country. If the king were to pass away, Weston would have to take his place. Was he ready for all of that commitment and responsibility? I truly worried for him. 

"Your majesty?" I heard Neyana's voice call out. She seemed very stressed and scared. I stood up and looked at her shaken form. "Prince Weston has requested to speak to you privately."  She said quietly. I nodded my head and let her lead the way to wherever he needed me. A darkness had washed over the once thriving castle. The servants and nobilities head bowed in respectful mourning. It was almost as if you could feel the death that was soon to come. 

The two dark oak doors stood tall guarding the secrets on the other side. A boundary between life and death. A death that would traumatize Weston. I quietly creaked one of the doors open. Stepping into the dark abyss colored room I gazed towards the sorrow figure. Weston hunched over burrowing his head in his hands. My heart clenched tightly at the sight and not in a good way. I walked up to him and placed my small hand on his shoulder. He then took my hand in his.

"The doctor says he doesn't have much time left." I watched as a tear slid down Weston's cheek. 

"I'm so sorry." I said frowning while taking a seat next to him on the red couch. 

"I requested you because I need to ask something of you." Weston said looking at me hopefully, eyes puffy from crying. I gave a reassuring hand squeeze. "This has happened unexpectedly, but we think my father had an unknown tumor pressing against his brain. He won't make it through the night most likely, which is horrible. If he dies I'm considered the King of Amaren and I will have to complete a coronation. The Amaren Law states that I cannot become a ruling king without a queen on my side." He explained taking a breath before continuing. "Olivia, will you be my queen?" Weston asked me standing up to face me. He took both my hands and looked at me expectantly. I was completely speechless, he knew I did not want to be queen. The soft spot in my heart wanted to say yes to the desperate prince. 

"If that is what will make you happy out of this dark situation, then yes. I will be your queen." I reached in and hugged Weston feeling his hand pet my blond hair.

"I know you didn't want this, but I'm sure you'll love this palace with time." Weston explained and sat once more bringing me with him. "Thank you." He said peering into my hazel eyes.     

After spending time with the mournful prince I headed back to my bedroom. The palace was still on the edge of their toes, dreading the fate of the king. I walked into the quiet bedroom and instantly sprung onto the comfortable bed. I needed a good night's slumber after the critical events that unfolded today. Turning my head I checked on the peach color rose, still standing tall in the vase Weston gave me. I noticed that one petal dried up and floated to the bottom. And with that my eyes floated in sync with the petal and I fell into a restful sleep.