six | A Party of Masked Mourners

Death. It was an inevitable occurrence that no living essence could escape. While we thrived and enjoyed life, we always had death lingering in the corner whispering what's to come. Of course when your loved ones passed it was a dreadful process. First you're in denial, then you mourn in acceptance, and maybe just maybe you can overcome the lingering question. What if? What if you could've saved the life? In the end all you can do is raise your head high and be strong for your country.

As for the soon to be crowned King Weston, I saw him still in denial. He was very somber spending the last two days grazing novels in his bedroom. I was scared to think the position his mind was in right now, is he recovered just the slightest to be able to run a country? That I guess we all would have to find out. A masquerade ball was to be held tonight in honor of the fallen King. I loved wearing masks and I believe they did that so the court ladies and nobility could mask their sorrow and grief. 

Elizabeth and Denise both decided to leave the palace yesterday. For an unknown reason I was yet to unravel. I assume they're just exhausted over the King's death and that Weston was not paying close attention to them. As for Danielle and Isabella? Well they're trying to grip onto Weston like he was their last source of water. Little do they know that I'm the unofficial soon to be Queen. Which Weston will announce tonight at the Remembrance Ball. Danielle and Isabella remind me a lot of the stories I've heard of my great-grandmother's step sisters. Their names were Beatrice and Agatha, they were just as ugly as their personality. Nothing compared to Ella Bourbane, she was the most kind hearted soul you would find upon a royal throne. When I rule next to Weston, I hope I can be as compassionate as she was.

I sat at my vanity placing minimal makeup on my pale face. My bedroom door opened and to my surprise Weston's mother, the Queen, walked into my room. The tired woman worn down from sleepless nights held a giant dress bag. She let out a sigh while fixing a piece of brunette hair that strayed from the immaculate bun. 

"Hello, dear." The Queen walked up to my bed and placed the heavy dress bag down. 

"It's a pleasure, Your Majesty. I'm sorry for your loss." I said turning in her direction.

"Thank you." She paused solemnly, and then brushed the emotion off and smiled. "I have brought you one of my dresses I could never wear. It takes one with a personality such as yours to wear something like this. I'm afraid my fashion is a bit shy." The queen undid the large black dress bag and revealed a stunning rose colored ball gown. My mouth gently parted in shock. 

"It's absolutely breathtaking. Thank you so much." I walked over to the dress and admired the detailed handy-work. The bodice had flowers as did the skirt with flowers sprinkled lightly over it. 

"Well you better get dressed, I wouldn't want you to be late. Of course only if it was fashionably late that is." She let out a small laugh, and as did I. 

"Thank you." I said once more as she left my room.  

Noticing the time on my phone I realized, I only had about ten minutes until Weston was expecting me. I still don't have the castle memorized by heart, so I'm prepared to get a little lost on the way. Which means I need that ten minutes. Who knows I could get eaten by a bear! Walking down the hallway of the beautifully decorated palace I noticed the light peeking through the end of the direction I was headed. Party chatter and classical waltzes were heard swimming down the corridor hugging your ears. 

I heard the authoritative gracefulness of a man walking behind me. I turned picking up my beautiful gown smiling at the masked prince. A glistening smile rose upon the man's lips, pearly teeth peeking through. He offered his hand and I graciously placed mine on his. He told me earlier that tonight we needed to put the sorrow behind us just for the ball. I understood that perfectly, it was our duty.

"How lucky am I to have run into Prince Charming?" I laughed as did Weston. 

"My very own Cinderella, but please do not run off tonight. That would be very troubling." He mocked giving me a sly smirk. He continued with me down the hallway and we approached the doors leading to the ball room. Weston turned to me. "Ready, my little flower?" He smiled and placed a gentle kiss on my hand as we stepped into the room. Everyone's eyes landed on us in awe. We both looked at each other happily ready for a wonderful night filled with graceful dancing.