Chapter Five

"I could ask you the same question," he replies, raising his eyebrow at her.

"Secret hideout that's not so secret anymore," I murmur under my breath.

"So what can you not go through again?" He asks.

My eyes go wide. "How long have you been listening?" I ask angrily.

He shrugs. "Not that long. So?"

"In case you haven't noticed already, I don't have any wings," I start and his eyes flick to my shoulders.

"What happened to them?"

"The Council had them removed." I suddenly realize that I am not wearing my hoodie and my body is on display in my tight tank top and shorts. Panic starts to claw at my chest but I push it down.

"Why'd they do that?"

"Because they didn't appreciate my sense of humor."

He chuckles. "Well, aren't you just a little ball of sass," he remarks.

"Do you need something? Or are you bothering us just to be a dick?" I snap.

He shrugs. "I was just flying by when I saw you, decided to come and say hi."

"Hey, I'll see you later Ana," Diana whispers in my ear. I whip around to stop her but in a single sweep of her wings, she's gone.

I look back at Daniel, my heart beating in my throat. "How did you see us?"

"With my eyes."

I purse my lips in annoyance. "The canopy is so thick you can't even see the sky," I mutter.

"I have my little tricks," he replies with a cheeky grin. "So, what are you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Well you can't be a normal angel. Even high-borne angels don't look like you," he says, his gaze wandering up and down my body. His eyes are filled with lust and I take a few steps back.

"They do if both their parents were high-borne. Now what about you?" I ask, peering at him suspiciously.

He smirks and crosses his arms over his chest, making his muscles bulge. "That's a secret I don't plan on sharing anytime soon."

"Then don't expect to hear mine," I tell him and he lets out a low whistle.

"Definitely a little ball of sass. I won't tell anybody about your secret hideout if you do something for me," he offers.

I glance around the clearing, my hands growing clammy at the thought of losing my sanctuary. "What do you want me to do?"

***

"Are you fucking nuts?" Diana shrieks.

My hands fly to cover my ears and I wince. "Damn you're loud sometimes," I grumble.

"Why the hell would you help him sneak off campus?"

"Because otherwise he'll tell everyone where my hideout is and then I'll lose the only place I can go to escape these idiots," I say exasperated.

"You're insane," she mutters, plopping down onto her bed.

"It's not like it's hard to sneak out."

She throws me a concerned look, but I just shrug. "When are you going?" She sighs in defeat.

"Sundown, so in a few hours," I say, climbing into the top bunk. I lay down with my eyes closed for a while before Diana speaks again.

"What time is dinner?" she asks.