Chapter Twenty-Four

"Yeah no."

"Come on, it's not that bad."

"Are you kidding me? It's fucking disgusting!" I snap, grimacing at the bowl in his hands.

Daniel raises his eyebrow at me. "Would you please stop being such a baby and just eat it?"

I glare at him. "Nope," I spit, "I'm not eating that nasty shit again, that's all I've had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for six days. I'm not having it again."

Daniel sighs heavily and falls back in the chair, setting the bowl of red paste on the counter. He looks tired for a moment but then his mouth quirks up in a half-smile. "Why are you such a pain in the ass?" he chuckles.

I roll my eyes. "Shut up," I mutter.

"Come on Ana you need to eat it, Logan says it will make you strong again and it's clearly been working so far."

"Where is Logan?" I ask.

"Here."

"Ah fuck," I hiss, my heart beating a million miles an hour. I turn around to glare at him. "Why do you keep sneaking up like that?" I shout in frustration.

He shakes his head, his face completely expressionless.

I let out a heavy breath. "What is it?" I ask him.

"You need to exercise," he tells me.

I nod and start to get up but his hand on my shoulder makes me sit back down. "What?"

He grabs the bowl and sets it down roughly in front of me. "Eat."

My head falls onto the counter with a thud. I swear under my breath. Daniel's muffled laughter meets my ears and I harshly kick his shin. "Shut up."

"Again," Logan says.

My shoulders slump in exhaustion as I wipe the sweat off of my forehead. "Are you kidding me? I feel like I'm going to pass out," I rasp. I brace myself against a tree, breathing heavily.

"You got really lazy in the last couple of months," Daniel mutters.

I whirled on him. "Fuck you Daniel! I was poisoned with an arrow and put into a fucking coma!" I seethe.

He threw his hands up in surrender. "Whatever, I'm just gonna go hunting before this starts another fight," he mumbles. He shifts into his wolf and takes off into the forest.

"Again Luci," Logan repeats.

"Stop calling me that!" I yell, stalking up to him.

He towers over me, but I'm so pissed off it barely fazes me. His muscles bulge as his arms cross over his chest and his jaw clenches tightly. "You need to stop acting like a child. You want to go to war, but you are not willing to prepare for one," he says, his deep growl more prominent than usual.

My wings spread out a little, the feathers puffing up. "I'm not acting like a child," I spit.

He chuckles. The sound is cold and dark; it sends an uncomfortable tingling down my spine. "Your father would disagree."

Rage floods my mind. My fingers twitch as I stare him down.

Nothing happens. My anger is quickly replaced by confusion. I glance down at my hand then back up at Logan.

He smirks, another chuckle rumbling in his chest. "You really thought that would work on me?" he growls.

"What the hell are you?"

He shakes his head. "A creature even the Council does not believe in," he says. "Now run. Or are you going to try to control my mind again?"

I eye him warily, swallowing hard. "How did you know I could do that?"

He shakes his head again. "It does not matter. Go again."

I take a deep breath and put my wings away and start running once more. My legs already burn and so do my lungs but I keep going. I find the trail I was on before and sigh a little as I pass a massive boulder. Only 6 more miles to go.

***

"Where's Daniel?" I ask.

Logan shakes his head and continues stitching the gash on my foot. I let out a sharp hiss of pain and grip the chair tighter. He finishes quickly, wrapping my foot in bandages.

I take the crutch he gives me, shoving it under my arm and shakily standing up. My entire body aches. I can feel my foot throbbing where I cut it tripping over a rock. My head is pounding and it takes everything I have to not throw up.

"You need to eat," Logan tells me. He washes my blood from his hands then leaves the house without another word.

I sigh. I have ten minutes to try to learn something about him. Ten minutes to learn who or what he is.

I grit my teeth and limp on the crutch to the back of the house. There is only one room I've never been in.

I reach a dusty wooden door at the end of the longest hall. I raise my hand to turn the knob but it swings wide open. My eyes widen and I am about to turn around and run out of the house screaming but then I stop.

My gaze locks onto the wall, completely covered in weapons. "Who the hell are you, Logan?" I mutter, looking at the dozens of swords, daggers, crossbows, guns, and dozens more I can't even name.

I turn around and almost collapse. I grip my crutch so tight my knuckles turn white.

The other wall is covered in wings. Angel wings.