Chapter Six

"How many?" I ask him.

He shrugs. "30-ish, probably more though."

"Why?"

"Oh no, don't direct the focus towards me, how many for you?" He says, wagging his finger.

"A few dozen, probably more though," I say, mimicking his response.

"What for?"

"They were trying to kill my family, your turn," I say, leaning back in my chair.

"They were pissing me off and trespassing repeatedly on my ter—uh property," he stumbles and I give him a funny look.

"I think my alcohol tolerance might be higher than yours. Can we go back yet? I kinda just want to go to bed now," I mutter.

"Just wait here for a minute, I'll be right back," Daniel tells me before going over to the bar again. He returns with two small boxes.

"What's that?" 

"Supernatural drug. You were complaining about the liquor so I thought you might want something that'll actually have an effect," he explains, pushing the box across the table.

I open it to reveal a small pill. I glance back up at Daniel with a raised eyebrow. "You're not gonna take advantage of me or something are you?" 

"Have I done something to give you that impression?"

"No," I murmur. You're one of the most decent angels I've ever met but that isn't saying much, I guess. I sigh. "Well even if you do it's not like I haven't been through worse."

I pop the pill into my mouth before he can ask about it and swallow it with the liquor. I close my eyes and breathe deeply, waiting for it to take effect.

Not even minutes later, I feel a warmth spreading inside my chest and my head is filled with a sudden lightness. I smile in content and open my eyes to see Daniel grinning at me. I hear a song come on and realize I actually know the tune. "We should dance," I say and grab Daniel's hand, dragging him onto the dance floor. I put my hands above my head and sway my body to the beat. I feel hands on my hips and I am pulled flush against a hard chest.

I look up into his stormy blue eyes, instantly feeling heat spread all over my body. A tingling sensation sparks everywhere his skin is touching mine and my body starts grinding against his.

He chuckles lowly and puts his lips next to my ear. I feel his hot breath fan against my skin, making me shiver in pleasure at his proximity. "Be careful, you might start something you'll regret," he warns, but it only heightens my desire.

I grin and lean forward until my lips are only millimeters from his. "Somehow I doubt I would regret anything when it comes to you."

***

I jerk awake with a gasp and sit upright. The world spins and I fumble for something to hold onto but all I grab is air. My eyes fly open wide as my body tilts sideways and I fall, hitting the floor hard enough to knock the breath out of me.

My mouth opens and closes but no air comes in, making me start to panic. I quickly close my eyes and hold my breath until I feel my chest relax. I suck in a gasping breath then immediately start coughing. My shoulder and elbow are tingling with pain that forces black spots into my vision and turns my stomach. 

I recognize the ceiling of my bedroom, along with the new bunk bed inside. Two pairs of hurried footsteps approach me and I spot Diana and Daniel.

Diana kneels beside me, her eyes full of worry. "Oh my god, are you alright?" she asks, searching my body for any injuries.