Their Pride Part 49

Chapter 48

Stepping out of the woods with the two leopards by my side, I knew that it would be unnerving for them.  With the large animals standing next to me, one black and the other white, it was surprising that their eyes remained on me.  Did they not realize that I wasn’t the scary one?  Both the animals next to me were more frightening, but still, their eyes studied me with a sense of unease.

“I hate when they stare,” I mumbled to those around me.

Zeke swerved his head around to those who stared too long and they automatically looked away.  I don’t blame them; if I didn’t know Zeke as I do, I wouldn’t be able to look him in the eye for long without being frightened.  Running my hand through his fur in thanks, I knew that he couldn’t always stand up for me.  “You didn’t have to do that,” I whispered to him.  “I’m going to have to get used to it sometime soon.”

Seb bumped my side, making me look towards him.  His head tilted towards me.  “You need a hug?”

Smiling down on him, I attempted to keep the laughter at bay.  He was trying to get my mind off the situation at hand, and it was working.  “Well, if you were a human, it would be easier.” As soon as the last word left my mouth, arms were wrapped around me.  Seb pulled me into a tight hug, making me want to cuddle into his side and forget everything that was happening around me.  I couldn’t though. 

Letting out a sigh, I looked over my shoulder at Blake and grinned.  “Blake, do you want to introduce me?  I really want to get to know this Amaya.”

Red tinted his cheeks causing my grin to widen.  Maybe, the thought of the two of them wasn’t as outlandish as I had thought.  “It can’t happen,” he replied while shaking his head in denial.

“If your mates, it will happen,” I promised him. I wanted those closest to me happy, no matter the cost.  “I don’t care what kind of war it starts; it will happen.”

“Ally-”

“It’s non-negotiable.  I want my people happy no matter what the cost.”

I felt Zeke’s head shift under my hand.  Looking down at him, white teeth flashed in a scary manner.  Tightening my grip in his fur, I mumbled, “Zeke, leave him alone.”

Seb’s grip on me tightened in warning.  “Alex, remember our talk.”

“Fine, I’ll stop babying him,” I replied with reluctance.

“Why are you here?”

My head turned in Blake’s direction.  The tone of his voice let me know that he was angry.  Why he was angry?  I didn’t have a clue, but I had never heard him snap at anyone in such a way.  Glancing around at the people around me, I contemplated the best way to tell him why we came.  To be honest, I couldn’t do it there.  There were too many people I didn’t know.  “We’ll talk about it when your lion friend isn’t around.”

“Hey!” Isaac called out, a large smile on his face.  “I can keep a secret.”

“So can I,” I shot back before turning my back on them all.  I needed to get this going.  There were no plans for us to stay here long.  We had places we needed to be, but there was one thing that I wanted to do before I left.  “I like her Blake.”

“You’re not my mom, Ally,” he growled.  “I don’t care if you like her.”

I froze, and had to fight the smile that was attempting to form on my lips.  Was the timid Blake I once knew finally standing up for himself?  Growling echoed from beside me.  Shaking my head, I glanced over to Seb before looking at Zeke.  “He’s right.  He’s not my kid; he can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants.  I need to be reminded that sometimes.”