14. Not Interested... At All.

Math is inhumane

Math is inhumane.

I don't know why Pythagoras hates me so much, but I swear on my grandmother's urn that I'm sorry for whatever I did. There are eraser filings all over my page and I'm reciting gibberish in the hopes that I pass this test.

I forgot. I forgot we had an exam today.

On a Friday- it's practically a sin. And no, not Sine.

Oh, kill me now.

"How do you think you went?" Kat leans over to me, exaggerating her exhaustion by slumping her tiny body on me in the middle of the cafeteria line. Talk about making a scene, people are jumping back to get away from us. I can't help laughing as I push Katherine back to her feet.

"I hope I passed." I shrug and her hazel eyes widen in astonishment.

"You, Victoria Aspen, sister of Adam Aspen, hope you just passed." Her voice raises an octave higher than I would have liked. I shrug once again, running a hand through my hair.

"You may have noticed I don't really fit in well with my family."

There's sadness behind my words that both Katherine and I pretend not to notice, moving onto another topic I tune out of. It's true, though. I really don't fit it with the Aspens. Not their personalities, not their hobbies, not their identifiers.

Alex is the jocky, grumpy one. Adam is the intellectual, overdone one. Ashely and Alan are the busy, never-there ones.

Which one am I?

I'm completely average. Average (if I'm lucky) grades, average (once again, not likely) sporting talent and average personality. With added temper. At least that's something that Alex and I kind of have in common. At least I have a sense of humour, though.

"You know what would lift our spirits?" Katherine beams, waving a hand in front of my face.

"No, what?" I drone.

"Picking our outfits for tonight!" She does a little skip and I feel myself do just the opposite. The football game. I guess I'd forgotten more than my math test this morning.

"Do I still –"

"Have to go?" A deep voice drawls from behind me, fruity breath fanning the back of my head. I spin around so fast that I stumble back, away from the figure standing before me. Katherine barely catches me as I freeze in place.

Amused blue eyes. Hair the colour of rich, deep gold that curls much like the smirk curling on his lips. I can smell his surprisingly and weirdly authentically scented peach cologne from here.

My eyes narrow so much that the corners of my vision disappear. Yeah, that's right, get rid of that jawline so I can focus purely on my hatred.

"Of course you have to go." He chirps, a clear threat in his voice. "I'll see you there. I'm the quarterback." He clarifies.