16. Victory Hugs

The first time I ever watched a football game was with my mother when I was thirteen

The first time I ever watched a football game was with my mother when I was thirteen. I know, not the conventional supposed father-daughter moment that everyone expects it to be. I guess Alan was just too caught up in his affair to remember that he had kids to raise.

Anyway, my mom sat me down one night in our hotel room and forced me to watch the final hour of an everlasting match between teams I don't remember. She didn't even like football. Not one bit.

I still remember the screaming matches between her and dad that seemed to outdo the actual match as it played in the backdrop.

Anyway, she made me sit there, tried to explain a little to me before making a huge bucket of popcorn and switching on Spongebob just for me.

It's moments like those that make me realise that she knew me better than anyone. She knew my favourite show, my favourite flavour of ice cream. She knew that I sing in the shower, but pretended not to notice.

All the travelling aside, and late night meetings and hotel rooms that we couldn't really afford, she knew me better than anyone.

And now she's gone.

"Dylan, you idiot!" Katherine shouts in my ear, bringing me back to reality. Oh yes. Football.

I follow her terror inducing glare to a player numbered sixteen. That must be Dylan. "What's Alex's number?" I ask. I never bothered to notice the huge letters plastered on his faded jersey, and suddenly I feel slightly guilty. I don't even know where my brother is.

"Eight." Katherine replies shortly, eyes never leaving the game. I guess being in a football family means that she knows the game by heart. I bet she could take down half the guys on the field before they even knew what hit them.

Finally, I spot Alex, sprinting down the field to catch the ball. Someone throws it to him before falling to the ground beneath a pair of green ground hogs and I cringe. Damn, this game is vicious.

The ball spins higher and higher and higher before plummeting down, aiming a few feet from Alex's outspread arms. "Alex!" I squeal, not even meaning to speak.

Oh no, he's not going to make it. He's going to drop it. But he doesn't.

I release a huge exhale and Katherine cheers with me (and half the stadium). I never knew Alex was so good at this stuff. I mean, sure he must have been alright to line his room with awards, but I never really thought about it.

The kid's got moves that I'm more than a little disappointed not to inherit.

Something happens and they have to reform like the beginning of the game. "What's happening?" I whisper to the bouncing blonde beside me.

She's grinning like a mad man as she jumps up and down. "Hawks scored!" Oh. I am so confused. What did I miss?

I check the leader board and see that the visiting team is just a point off from us. Anyone could win this and it really shouldn't disturb me like this. Suddenly this game means more to me than my honour.