28. Denied

"Why can't we? Wait- what are you doing?" Katherine complains, stretched out on her back across the bedspread. I scribble the note in thick, red marker, fold it up and toss it at her. The blond groans at the effort of smoothing the creases.

She rolls her eyes, aiming the paper back but watching it flitter to the floorboards. "'Denied'?"

I nod smugly. "Denied!"

Kat rolls over, "Why?"

"Because I don't want to spend the whole night in a small room-"

"It's not that small!"

"With a bunch of sweaty guys." I announce, but Katherine won't have any of it.

"I'm sure they'll take showers first." She drawls, rolling her eyes at me.

"No." I cross my arms and raise an eyebrow. "Why do you want to go so bad?"

I could have sworn I saw the faintest blush race across her fair skin. She plasters on a guarded expression, "No reason."

I grin at her, not believing a word. I know what's up. "So it has nothing to do with a certain someone?" I tease and her pigment finally turns the same pink shade as her bedroom walls.

"Shut up." She mutters.

"I want you to say his name!" I pronounce dramatically, knowing exactly what his name is. I just want her to suffer.

What are friends for?

"Shush, Tori!" She pleads. The one we speak of is just downstairs, probably in the Anderson's living room right now. We scheduled the first sleepover of Spring Break to be at her house, but the host happens to have other plans. Plans that involve a movie night with the football squad.

I raise my voice even louder, to the point that she scrambles off of her bed to shut me up. "Is his name Stan-"

And then she knocks me to the ground.

I only agreed to this because, in the words of Gretchen Weiner, I am such a good friend.

"Okay, who wants snacks?" Dylan passes out sodas and buckets of home-style popcorn to two girls and six other boys. I'm so outnumbered here it hurts.

How many mattresses and/or pillow fortresses can you fit in the Anderson's living room? Answer: a lot. I think I can confirm that the boys all share about half a dozen bean bags that they rotate through, depending on where they hang out.

Because I think that one has Alex's practice socks growing out of the side.

I shudder as Katherine and Dylan bicker over which movie to watch. Even I know that there is no way she's picking. She sure does put up a fight, though.

"And what brings you here, madam?" I shiver runs down my spine at the cool breath on my neck. I spin around, aiming for my best unimpressed-look.

"Definitely not you." This only makes his smirk widen into a crooked grin. Looks like he got a haircut.

It's almost a shame, the baby curls were really growing on me.

He pretends to ignore the insult, standing beside me as we watch the performance between the blondies. Dylan is shaking his head in amusement as Katherine rampages, waving some category of chick flick in front of his face.

He really doesn't have a temper, does he?

I chuckle at the pair, and for a moment Dylan's green eyes flicker towards me as if to say 'What are we going to do with her?' Before he returns to the situation at hand, his gaze moves to the right of me, to Mason. His expression hardens. He grimaces before looking away.

What was that?

Surely if the two hate each other so much, they wouldn't be at each other's houses for every single event? My eyebrows furrow as I turn to Mason, expecting an explanation. His crystal irises stay focused on a spot far away from this planet.

***********************

Okay, so this is the first part to this chapter, I'm posting the next part in about 60 seconds! <3