There is no such thing as a lovers' oath

Song : Massive Attack - Paradise Circus 

The car that came to pick me up was exactly on time. I took a last look around my apartment and closed the door. I was leaving a piece of myself inside those walls and as I walked down the stairs I felt like I was leaving also my freedom.

I didn't have time to duel on such thoughts. I left my keys to Helen, the gentle animal's doctor on the first floor so she could give them to the moving company later this week to get the rest of my stuff. My father had arranged everything with my landlord and the excuse for all of them, including friends was a family emergency. It always worked. People were too afraid to ask any more questions in case it was something they couldn't bear to hear.

I had called Ian and informed him that I would be leaving with him. The conversation was brief, he just asked at what time he should send a car to pick me up and told me that we would be staying at a hotel for the evening and then fly in the morning. I was surprized, I thought that we would meet tomorrow morning and then travel up north. He understood from my pause on the phone and promised that he would explain everything. This was not going to go well if he kept this up, asking me for things and then dictated the way they should be executed. I would give him the benefit of the doubt for now but my patience was not without its limits. I had already been a very good sport regarding this whole situation.

The driver was not alone. Another male wolf was with him and his scent was familiar. He must have been in the woods with him, he smelt of pine tree like Ian and something else which I didn't care to find out at the moment. He picked up my suitcases, loaded them and opened the door for me in the back. The car started and we were on our way. I didn't look back.

As the car took us to our destination, I thought about the questions I had asked my father before he left a couple of hours before. He wanted to stay but I urged him to drive back home, there was no need for him to delay any longer as I was sure my grandma would get suspicious and asked to speak to me on the phone. I would leave all the explaining for my dad to deal with, I would call her when I reached the North. I wanted my dad to explain to me the details of how exactly did Arcto Coniunx was performed. I had only heard about it and knew that it was for a period of time but the process escaped me. My father looked uncomfortable and told me that it would be best if I talked about it with Ian. He just assured me that the time frame was right.

We arrived in one of the city's most fancy hotels and I was escorted to the elevators by the same enforcer. He hit the button and I took a small breath, trying to ignore the sappy music that was filling the booth. The little bell informed us that we had reached our floor. He got out before me and pointed down the corridor. I followed him and we reached the room.

He opened the door with a card key and showed me in. He hadn't said a word to me the whole time so when he suddenly spoke, it startled me.

"Ms Hamilton, Alpha Barker will be here within the hour. He asked if you could please remain in the room. I will bring the suitcases right up."

"Thank you but I believe the hotel can send them up, no need to trouble yourself" I didn't want to inconvenience him any further, he already looked grumpy.

"The Alpha specifically asked that you are not to be disturbed by anyone. Another guard is already outside your door until I return" his tone didn't falter. I didn't want to argue about this any longer so I nodded and he left. I caught the figure of another man outside the door. There were being overly cautious, I would have to ask about that as well.

The room, suite was a better word for it, was beautiful. It had a large sitting room with a small dining table for two near the balcony doors. Two doors on each of my side revealed the bedrooms, one already had a suitcase on the bed so I went to other one. The colours were grey and beige, like the whole suite. Everything screamed expensive, the rugs, the sofa, the enormous beds. I looked outside the balcony doors and enjoyed the view. The door to the room opened and the other guard went straight to the vacant bedroom and left them there. Good, if they knew where to put them that meant that the Alpha didn't give any false assumptions about our staying together tonight.