Well begun is half done

Song : Lions - Girl from the North country (Bob Dylan cover)

We had just left the main road that led to the mountains and entered the country side roads or more befittingly dirt roads but in a very good condition. Not too many bumps and holes and the land rover that we were occupying was in fact a beast on four wheels. Ian informed me that there wasn't much they could do about these passages but it kind of suited them that way because the access to the main pack  was more limited  to outsiders.

The plane landed at the airport which was about another two hours from the relatively small town that was nearer to the pack. Another administration building was set there to deal with the humans relations and to support those wolves that preferred to live closer to civilization or whose children attended the last three grades of high school. For those younger than that, there was a school on the pack's premises.

During the plane ride we talked about our families. I learned that he had two younger siblings, Kenneth and Kara, twins. His brother spent most of his time in the town pack as one of his Betas, addressing any issue that might arise while his sister was mated to another pack and was expecting her first pup. His mother was currently there, helping her through her last months of pregnancy. He didn't say anything about his father. I supplied him with information about my family tree, giving special emphasis on my grandma. We only talked about the living. We didn't mention the dead. This was not the time.

When we reached the town, we stopped shortly to change cars and grab a bite as it was already past lunchtime. His brother had gone over to the mines to oversee a delivery of new equipment. He wasn't aware that we would be back today. I got the impression that Ian deliberately didn't inform anyone of his exact return but they seemed to be aware of my existence not that I got to meet any of them. I got some slightly tilted necks from those in the lobby. Ian was in and out in fifteen minutes while the other enforcer grabbed some sandwiches and snacks for the road. Maybe he wanted to catch them unaware so he could see if everything was running as it should be.

The rest of the drive would take about an hour from the town and as we entered the side roads I was amazed at the scenery. Big pine trains dominated around us with small patches of clearings here and there that were filled with different wildflowers. When we gained a little altitude I saw a lake in the distance and Ian told me that they had several across their territory and two of them had small waterfalls due to one of the their rivers. There was also a hot spring but it was much higher. My wolf was getting excited by all this beauty and she was getting anxious, wanting to explore everything that she was seeing and smelling. I shared her enthusiasm, it would be nice to run free in such a majestic place without having to worry about some human accidentally stumbling upon you. I could also take some real nice pictures of all this beauty that Mother Nature had graced us with.

I was so absorbed looking out of my window that I faintly realized that the car was slowing down. I turned my attention ahead and I spotted a large gateway with four guards. Once they recognized the car they lifted the barricade and allowed us entry. Ian rolled down the window and acknowledged their sighs of submission to their Alpha. I also noticed some big signs that declared that this was private property and any unauthorized entry was forbidden.

"The humans consider us as a cult that probably worships the gods of the forrest or something like that. We never had a problem with them as they favor the money that we put in the town as well for the jobs that we provide in the mill and hiring their trucks for transportation. But we are always cautious of wanderers and strangers." Ian probably saw me looking at the signs.

"It is the same for us. A closed community of people who don't accept anyone outside of their own, is bound to raise questions. It is better to be prepared than have someone see something that was not meant for their eyes."