10: home

Watch POV change!! ☺️

// If you've got a tumblr, follow my new one: gl0r-y (the o is a zero) 😉

Downtown Seattle, Washington
October 5th, 2015
4:48 PM

Jess

My fingers traced the letters that read:

"Maybe life is not all about finding that one great love. Maybe it's about living in the moments while they last. Maybe it's about the summer days you spend trying to make art and end up making a pretty mess. Maybe it's about the monsoon days when you stretch your hands to feel the raindrops tickle your palms. It's about the teeth chattering winter sensation you get from eating your favorite ice cream. Maybe, just maybe, life is about all those moments before you fall in love. Maybe life is when you fall in love with yourself."

These words weren't in a book, but on a heavily graffitied wall. A wall located in a downtown shopping district in Seattle. In the midst of all the tags and vulgarity, there was this one single quote written with sharpie into the cement wall.

It was so fucking powerful.

"...that one great love" could mean anything. It could be a dream, a person, or a place. But that love doesn't matter unless you let it. Your mind and your heart are what allow you to fall in love... That alone should be reason enough for you to continue to take care of yourself — and, as the wall said, love yourself.

The mind's a funny thing. Just a few months ago, I had a downright breakdown because of how insecure I was about my body and how the media reacted to the couple pounds I gained. Now, in the matter of the few seconds it took to read a quote on a dirty wall, those months of subtle insecurity seemed unreasonable and unproblematic.

Who knew three hours before a show is the time to get philosophical?

"Got 'em!"

I turned my head to the side. Julia walked through the automatic doors of a Walgreens that had seen better days. Hanging on her arms were four plastic bags almost bursting at the seams.

Maybe I shouldn't have given her my debit card.

"I thought you were only getting the glow in the dark kind," I said.

She stopped in front of me and shuffled through one of the bags. "I found ones that taste like strawberry."

I stifled a laugh, then bit my lip to try and hide it. "Don't ask me why this sounds like we're talking about condoms."

"Condoms?!" She dropped her shoulders. "Fuck, I forgot those."

I raised an eyebrow and gave her a teasing look. "Ooh, you and Raf are getting it on..."

She sent me a look out of the corner of her eye that was supposed to look threatening, but the small smile on her face failed to keep on the front.

"Jess, shut up."

I laughed and nudged her arm with my hand.

She turned like she was about to go back in the store, but I stopped her. "Hey, hand over the cotton candy first."

She passed over the bags and walked back through the store's doors.