Part Five

Stiles was shaking in fear, sitting alone in his room. He tried to scream for his mate again, but his voice was too hoarse. All he knew was that he needed Derek, he needed to know that Derek was alive.

But, the only thing Stiles could picture was watching Derek fight as his former protectors dragged him away. The omega held his head in his hands, as if that would stop the fresh memories constantly playing in his head.

He remembered his Alpha saving him using a strength foreign to even Derek himself, Deucalion hadn't stood a chance.
Stiles had never seen Derek so angry before. His rage was so strong, it was tangible. Right before the blade had hit Stiles, or the child, Derek twisted Deucalion's arm so hard, you could hear the bones breaking in his shoulder. The Chief had screamed in rage and pain, clutching his arm to his chest, immediately dropping the blade. Before the Alpha could recover, or prepare for the next attack, Derek had him up against a tree, repeatedly slamming his head into the bark.
"I'm going to kill you. I'm going to kill you because you hurt the innocent. And, I'm going to kill you because you are a power hungry bastard. But, above all I am going to kill you because you were going to kill my mate." Derek had growled out. Deucalion was dazed as Derek threw him to the ground.
"But, first I will give you a fair fight, because I am not like you. So get up, you call yourself a Cheif so GET UP." Derek had roared at Deucalion, who was trying to get his bearings.
The baby had then let out another cry, pulling Derek's focus from the fallen Chief to his mate. There eyes connected, Derek could tell Stiles was scared. Which made him angrier. The Alpha wanted to hold his mate and tell him it was alright, but he knew Stiles was smart enough to catch the lie. Instead he was about to do something he knew Stiles might never forgive him of.
"I love you." He had said before he called to Allison and Scott who were wiping their dirty blades off.
"Get him to safety." Stiles wasn't in a state to argue, even though he wanted to. He unwillingly let Allison and Scott pick him up off the ground. Allison took the tiny child from his arms to give to Lydia who had been following her. Allison wasn't letting her omega out of her sight. Stiles turned one last time to his own mate, who hadn't taken his eyes off him.

That was a mistake.

Derek had let his guard down, and Deucalion was able to get the slip on him. Before Stiles could even scream, a blade had pierced Derek's shoulder...
"NO" the omega had cried...

The pain he had felt hours ago had only grown worse as time went by. He wished he had warned Derek in time. He wished he had noticed Deucalion. And he prayed that Derek was alive. But, through his sorrow, another emotion was starting to take shape. Rage.

Because Derek Hale was a fucking idiot.

Didn't he know Stiles needed him, didn't he know Stiles wouldn't survive if he didn't? Did he have any idea what Stiles was going through? Stiles swore that if he wasn't already dead, he was going to be.
Another sob racked his body, the image of Derek's blood seeping from the wound was one he would never forget.
.
.
.
.
.
Derek scanned his eyes over the once beautiful tribe. So many people dead, so many children orphaned, so many mates widowed.
It wasn't fair, war never was. But, the Alpha felt a sickening sense of relief, knowing his mate was alive. As soon as he knew Stiles was being taken to safety, he had lost it. The puncture in his arm felt like nothing as he fought the Chief with his bare hands. He couldn't let him get to Stiles, and he hadn't. The fight had been one of the hardest in his life. Deucalion had been a skilled opponent, he recognized Derek's fighting technique and knew how to counter most of his attacks. But, there was one thing the Alpha didn't have. He didn't have Stiles.

Derek fought because he knew he had to get back to Stiles. Out of all the people who had died tonight, he couldn't be one of them because he needed to be with Stiles. And so he fought knowing all odds were against him, and yet he still won. Derek thanked whichever god was looking over him and his mate. They were alive and they would rebuild the tribe to it's former glory; that Derek had no doubt of. But, now wasn't time to think of the future, or the present for that matter.