An Apology

Few weeks later:

"I can't believe, we are done with our exams!" Olivia chirped as we walked out the college.

"And, you are being happy as if you are going to get all A's!"  I just couldn't understand the excitement. It wasn't  as if these were our last exams of life. We still have one more year, one whole damn year to deal with these exams again. Yet, Olivia is happy for this.

"Oh! Why do you have to be apathetic always about everything, Emm?" Olivia rolled her eyes as she got in the car and settled herself besides me. I chose to ignore her ranting while I drove past the students, who were as cheerful as Olivia for our exams.

"Would you mind moving aside from the middle of road, Mister? We are supposed to drive here." I rolled the window down and shouted, when the dude right in front of my car was being ignorant, in spite of my car's horn honking. Either he was deaf or my car's horn wasn't loud enough to him.

"Sorry, are you talking to me?" As the guy turned around, all my confidence just went away. It just disappeared.

'Adam, hug me please!' The thought just popped in my mind and I lost in how would it feel if he hugged me, not realising that now he was half inside my car, leaning over the half rolled down window.

I heard and actually saw Adam, clicking his fingers and was taken out of my dream world.

"Hello? Emma? Emma?" I heard him call my name.

"Huh? I mean what?" I babbled.

"What?" He was confused.

"What?" I repeated.

"What what?" Adam asked, this time even more confused about what was going on.

"What umm.. what were you doing there? You are blocking people's way! Get out of the damn way!" There was a sudden change in my tone. I myself could feel my tone was being a little rude. People around turned towards to see what was happening. I was loud enough to make others think that there was an argument going on.

"Sorry." He mumbled and walked away, without even giving me another glance.

'Damn it! I shouldn't have been that rude. But I didn't do anything. It just came out.' I was disappointed with myself. 'Did I hurt him?' I asked myself. 'Me and hurting him! It wouldn't even have mattered, at least to him.' I even answered.

"You shouldn't have spoken to Adam like that! What were you thinking?" I heard Olivia.

"What? Just because you are dating Leo, doesn't mean you will take Adam's side." I replied vexedly.

"It has got nothing to do with me dating Leo. Okay! Did you see the look on his face? Gosh! You are just impossible.Forget it and drive. Now you are blocking the way. There are people behind us." I glanced at the rear view mirror and realised Olivia was right. Right about everything at this moment.

_________

Adam's POV

Later in the evening:

I couldn't take today's scene out of my head. After that night, I thought there was a chance of Emma not hating me but I got it all wrong. The way she spoke to me today was bothering me. Not because there were other people around. It shattered the one hope I had after all this time of me and her being together.

I was in my ocean of thoughts, when I heard my doorbell ring. Since, no one was at home, I had to go down. I opened the door and froze at the sight in front of me.

"Emma?" I gained my senses back and finally let a word out of my mouth. She didn't say a word in return.

'When she doesn't have anything to talk about then why is she here?' I thought and kept looking at her blankly. The silence was awkward. And, then she pulled something out from behind. It was a placard which read,"SORRY FOR TODAY". A grin was over my face but I managed to keep it away for a while.

"What is this, Emma?" I asked,keeping my excitement out of my voice.

She said nothing and just flipped the placard. My eyes went back to it and read, "An apology". I looked into her eyes and had an eye contact for the first time in so many years. But she got uncomfortable and looked away.

She looked back at me. She had conciliated me. I couldn't keep my smile away. So, I asked her to come in but she nodded her head in a no and took another placard from behind the one she was already holding.
"I didn't mean to hurt you. Am I forgiven? Yes or No?" I stood there with complete blank expressions thinking, 'did it bothered her this much?'

When she didn't get any response back she felt a little embarrassed and started to turn around and walk away.

"Yes." I said to make her stop. She turned back to me with a big smile and relief on her face. I continued, "Now would you come in?" She nodded her head in a big yes this time and hopped in.

We came to my room. Though, when we were kids we used to hang out together and have also been into each other's room but this time it was different.

"Your room's changed." She finally said breaking the silence.

"You remember?" I asked timidly. She jerked her head in a big yes.

"Oh man! This is how my room looks from here!" She went to the window and exclaimed. I too joined her. After so long, we were standing in such a close proximity. I looked at her and noticed sudden change in her expression. At first, I thought it was because of me standing so close to her but then I realised she was looking at something, in her room. I followed her gaze and had a change of expression myself.

We both at the same moment looked at each other with wide eyes. We were in dismay after looking at a scenario in Emma's room. What we just saw was astounding and awkward.

___________

#4

"Sometimes, it is okay to keep your ego aside for your loved ones and apologise to save the relationship. But not everytime, for you might be taken for granted."