Potent Potential - Thirteen - Temptation or Trouble?

This was the chapter that I started and got deleted. That’s why it took me so long (plus my break from the Watt) because I loved what I’d written and couldn’t recreate it… Über frustrated.

X

Thirteen – Temptation or Trouble?

___________________________

Four hours and three thorough examinations and scans later, I was released from the hospital with the diagnosis of two fractured ribs and a load of bruising. There were fancier words but I preferred layman’s terms. I had no wish to become a doctor so there was no point in me learning any medical terminology.

Dante led me outside, his hand around my arm in case I had a sudden dizzy spell. Well, that was his excuse. I hoped someone would actually be here to pick me up. Dante said that Pulse had rung my sponsor with the news and time of release. Whether Kale had bothered to make any plans for a ride was a mystery.

“Make sure to take it easy,” he muttered, “and don’t let your guardian push you into anything strenuous. I understand your loyalty but… just try to keep your health in mind, okay?”

“Hm,” I replied indifferently, peering around for Kale. I should be able to hear him by now.

“I’ll see you tomorrow at school. Your throat will have swollen up over…”

When he trailed off, I looked up at him impatiently. His grip tightened on my arm and I followed his gaze to find Rowan out the front of the hospital, his arms folded, watching us. I scowled at him. Creep.

“What the fuck are you-” Dante was cut off.

“I’m your ride. My car’s just down on the street.”

“After what you’ve done?! She’s not going with you!”

To my surprise, I didn’t feel irritated when Dante shifted in front of me. I didn’t like it but I didn’t get the urge to smack him upside the head.

“I’d rather walk,” I said without inflection.

Rowan tilted his head back and gritted his teeth. “Oh, I’d rather you did too. Save me this goddamn hassle.” He lumbered forward and grabbed my arm, pushing Dante back at the same time. “The faster you quit arguing the faster we get this over with”

I saw Dante reach for him and nudged him with my foot. He caught my eye and I shook my head. And I watched while he shot a heated glare at Pierce’s back while I was being dragged away. Ah Dante, he was like a knight in shining armour. Too bad they were from medieval times and had no place in my modern world.

Rowan all but shoved me into his car, scraping my head on the roof as he bundled me inside. After slamming the door behind me, he stomped to the other side. I huffed and stared out the window on my side. The engine thrummed to life and he pulled off the curb.

“I’m sorry.”

I knew he wasn’t talking about his rough handling of me and banging my head so I waited.

“It’d be dishonest of me to admit that I didn’t enjoy our fight today but it was wrong and it isn’t what I do. I didn’t enjoy the aftermath. And being a bully is not my way of passing time.”

“Bully, ha,” I snorted.

“Picking on the weak,” he clarified.

Some fine apology.

“Whatever, I asked you to do it,” I dismissed.

“And I took it too far.” He turned his head towards me and then quickly looked back at the road. “The bruises around your neck don’t look too hot.”