Potent Potential - Four - Friend or Foe?

Four - Friend or Foe?

__________________

It was strange walking through the hallways and not hearing whispered remarks about my rumoured murderous habits. I got the occasional glance but, on her second day at school, Mercy had everyone’s attention riveted on her. And everyone tried to talk to her. There were those who sucked up to her, exclaiming over her ‘natural’ beauty, offering to help her with study, trying to buddy up with her in hope of a reward in the long run. Others tried to talk her into getting away from me, I nearly laughed out loud at their faces when she said that she couldn’t. More rumours would fly by the end of the day. The worst was when guys walked up with a ‘get-in-my-pants’ look on their face, disgracefully obvious. But I was happy to find that she could turn them away with a bit of frost in those pretty blue eyes.

Another change in my school life was that the seniors were now treating me like any other junior, there was no respect, greetings, even fear, except for the wimps. It was definitely starting to piss me off. Luckily, I had not yet run into Rowan so I hadn’t tested my ability to stay civil in public with him. I had a bad feeling that my thin patience would not be able to take it, especially with the semi-gloating faces of the seniors wearing it down. It had been a week since we’d talked in his office at the boss’s house. I’d be happy if that week stretched into forever.

“You’ve been subdued lately, Jacksy,” said Char, her bracelets rattling as she braided her hair back. We were about to start of our abdominal workout, the first class for our physical schooling in the second half of the day.

“A lot has happened,” I answered, copying her lofty speech.

She sent me a deadpan look, making me chuckle.

“Yeah, but usually you don’t get all… contemplative,” she waved her hand at me. “You’d get worked up and make someone’s life hell for a few weeks.”

I rubbed the back of my neck. “I’m not a bully.”

She gave me the same look again.

I felt an itching of guilt. “Only to those who deserve it…”

“Which is half the population these days,” she muttered, collecting her weights and mat.

I did the same, moving up a few pounds in the weights than usual to give myself a challenge.

“You girls up the back, hurry up and find your spot,” the instructor called out to us impatiently. I glared at her which made her hesitate.

“Way to prove my point,” Char said dryly.

I held my glare for a moment longer to ensure that the instructor understood who really was superior here, and then glanced at Char. “Probably just habit, so you can’t really blame me.”

She let out an amused huff. “Whatever, Jacksy. All I’m saying is that you’re a little quiet, and I think that if you keep holding any frustrations in, it’ll blow up in your face later. And… not just your face. I always seem to get dragged into it.”

 I held onto her feet as she began the first set of sit-ups and folded my arms. “I have no idea what you’re talking about. You never get caught up in any of my fights. In fact, usually you’re nowhere to be seen when I have any kind of problem. Your brother has my back and Missi’s like some sorta cheerleader that follows me around everywhere but you… I have absolutely no idea where you go.”

She grimaced as she finished the last few repetitions and sat back on her hands, panting. “What? Did you need me for moral support too?”

We switched positions. I lay on my back and she stood on my toes, holding her hands out, palms down, just above her hips.