♚n i n e♚

EDITED

Here's what happened in the last chapter:

I silently rush into the bathroom, not even bothering to turn on the lights, frightened that Harry would see the lights and break the door down.

I gulp as I hear the ringing.

"Please be awake, Daddy," I murmur.

The phone stops ringing, and the same, familiar voice answers.

"Hello?"

❃❃❃❃

Zayn's POV

I sigh, turning off my phone,and deciding to get some sleep.

I close my eyes, and try to relax.

Ever since Courtney had gone missing, her stepmother had asked me to stay in the house while the police was searching for her.

I yawn, getting up to use the restroom.

Once I'm done and have washed my hands, I exit the restroom.

"Zayn? Are you still up?" I hear Mr. Thompson murmur. I turn around, and see his exhausted face.

"Can I talk to you?" he asks, and since I'm not very sleepy myself, I nod, and follow him downstairs into his private office.

He sits down at his desk, and I take a seat in front of him.

"Zayn...I have to ask for your opinion," he says, and I gulp.

"It has to do with Courtney."

I watch him flip the pages of a book. I notice tears glistening in his eyes.

I attempt to take a small little peak of what he's staring at, but he's holding the book too close to him.

"Look at her. Wasn't she adorable when she was so young and innocent?" he coos, and holds out the book to me.

I take it, and look at her.

She's wearing a small, pink tutu, and a bright red shirt with a rainbow scarf.

Her chubby cheeks are pink, and her hair is pulled up in a tight bun, with the exception of her bangs hanging over her eyebrows.

I let out a chuckle, and look back at Mr. Thompson, expecting him to smile.

Instead, he looks down and starts crying.

He had, and has never cried in front of anyone, let alone in my presence.

He always gave off a tough aura, almost as if he would beat up anyone who even looked at him or at Courtney.

Ever since Courtney had vanished into thin air, all he did was hide in his room and weep quietly. He would always try to shake it off, and act like his normal self, but all of us knew what was behind that small, weak smile.

"I want the search for Courtney to come to an end. I'm afraid that we will never find her, and-" he frantically tells me.