Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

I opened my eyes. It seemed like eternity had passed until I saw Reid kneeling in front of me, lips moving. I couldn't catch what he was saying, hearing a buzzing sound, then realized my hearing aids were squealing in protest. I reached up, turned the volume down, and the words he was saying reached my ears.

"Are you okay?" he was asking. I nodded. I had a headache but I was sure it was nothing serious. I'd take a Tylenol after class. I gave him this look that said 'Improvise!' He nodded really quick, then helped me up. I saw no sign of the girl who pushed me. I hoped she got detention. He gave me a weird look once he saw a glimpse of my hearing aid, then composed himself.

"Let me guess. I'm in Dreamworks Disney World," I said.

"Pretty much,"he replied. I pouted. "Why do I always fall asleep in class?"

He raised his hands up in surrender. "Hey, that's not my fault," he said. I rolled my eyes. He smirked. I paced back and forth, trying to think of a new move.

"So... why are you here?"

"I'm here to help keep your dreams controlled." Oh, like that explained everything. I scoffed. He turned to his friends. They got up and walked to us. They must wanted to join in on the fun. Reid turned around.

"We help control your dreams," the tallest boy said, the one who must be Caleb. He had dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, light skin, and a muscular build. The way he held himself and the way the others looked at him, it seemed that maybe he was the leader of their group?

"Oh, so what, you're the Dream Police?" I snorted.

"Yes," the boy with the shoulder-lengthed light brown hair answered. He looked to be the same height as Caleb and Reid. He wore motorcyle-like clothes, black leather jacket and ripped jeans.

"Ohh. Well...in that case....Oh! Look, there's a llama! Go check it out!" I retorted, pointing across the room.

Caleb snapped his fingers. "Pogue. Reid. Come with me. Tyler, stay here."

I watched as they walked across the room. I turned to Tyler. He was obviously the youngest of the group, maybe about a year younger or so. He was the same height as the others, only with boy-ish features. He had light brown hair with blue eyes. I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't Levi (another classmate of mine) himself. They had an uncanny resemblance. Maybe they were secretly related? He had a lighter skin tone than Reid and Caleb as if he hadn't seen the sun in a while. Dark circles were smudged underneath his eyes and the way he seemed, it seemed like he was burdened with something he didn't want. Whoa, you're reading wayyyyy too much into this. You've just met the guy for Christ's sake.

He cleared his throat as we sat down on the floor. An awkward silence ensued. In a few minutes, the others came back and sat by Tyler, facing me.

"Did you find anything?" I asked in my best snarky voice, cocking an eyebrow.

"Nope. Not unless you count the llama that stole my donut," Reid answered with a wink.

"So...tell us about you," Caleb interrupted gently after smacking Reid's head.

"Well... I'm Katia. I'm fifteen. I'm a sophomore. I moved here four weeks ago, and I'm still new here so... I'm also adopted -- oh, geez, that's -- that's private. Shiooot. I don't speak Spanish, by the way, just to clarify that. I like to draw... read.... sing.... act..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say. "Any questions for me?"

"Why do you look so sad?" a voice spoke for the first time. I looked up towards the voice. Tyler stared at me, waiting for an answer. I was confused.