Chapter NIne

CHAPTER NINE

TYLER (P.O.V )

I was nervous. I shook my hands on the steering wheel staring at Sami's house, through the rain-splattered windshield. I sighed to myself. Why'd it have to rain tonight? I glanced at the clock on the dashboard. 7:59. I got out then jogged to her front door. I double-checked her address. Yup. Right one. I waited, then knocked on her door. The door opened. A bald man stood there.

"You Tyler?" he asked.

"Yes, sir." I replied.

"Come on in," he said.

I stepped in.

"SAMI!! TYLER'S HERE! She'll be down in just a second."

We stood there in silence.

"You...uh...play football?"

"I take swimming," I replied.

"Senior?"

"Junior, sir."

"17?"he asked.

"Yes sir." He looked at me.

"You bring my daughter home safe now, you hear me? Anything that you try, I'll do to you. And I think you know what that means..."

I swallowed. "Yes sir."

"Dad! You're kidding, right? Ugh. Hi, Tyler," Sami said, standing at the foot of the stairs.

She was wearing a slightly ripped tank-top, dark jeans, combat boots, her usual amount of eyeliner and her bracelets. She looked amazing. I smiled at her. It thundered.

"Dang it. It's raining?! Dad! You could've told me!" she protested.

"Ah, it's fine." I spoke up. "It's perfect."

She looked down at herself, then shrugged.

"Ok, let's go. Dad, I'll be home at 11--"

"10," he interjected.

"Fine, 10. See ya, Dad," she said as they embraced, then pulled away. We stepped outside, then ran to the van.

I drove to Nelly's, the local diner. We got inside, shaking the rain off of us. A waitress, Kelley, sat us down. We both ordered water, then Sami ordered a salad with ranch dressing, and I ordered a chicken. Once our food came, I saw her looking at it, like she was regretting the salad. So, I cut it up and gave half of it to her. She devoured it, but I didn't care. I liked girls who loved to eat. She cleared her throat, awkwardly. I ordered some apple pie. I shared it with her as we started talking about our likes and dislikes, our favorite movies, music etc. We both had a lot in common. I was really surprised about her. She told me that she often portrayed herself as a rude girl so no one would think she was easy. She told me stories about her drawings and her inspirations for them. I listened word for word.

"So what are your favorite things to do?" she asked, taking a bite.

"Draw, read a little, write, draw..." I said.

"Are you blushing, Tyler Simms?" she asked, raising her eyes in disbelief.

"Maybe," I admitted. She laughed. I liked it. Then I remembered the Prom posters I've seen around the school.

"Hey, Sami...do you um, uh... Doyouwantogotopromwithme?"

"Um, what? Sorry, I didn't catch that."

I sighed again, mentally cursing myself. "Do. you. want. to. go. to. prom? With me?"

She stared at me for a really long time. Then she smiled and grinned.