Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

REID (P.o.V.)

I sat in the van, watching life pass by. I wondered how she was doing. I felt bad for just leaving her like that but Covenant business was Covenant business. I drove us to Caleb's first colony house. As soon as we got out of the van, a gunshot rang out.

"Gorman! It's just us!" Caleb shouted.

I smiled to myself. Crazy old caretaker Gorman. He was guarding the house because of . . . well, he used to take care of William Danvers the Third (Caleb's father) before William went and Willed his Power to Caleb during his Ascension. Caleb's father looked like he was 300 years old but in reality, he was only 44. That's the price of Using your Power. It's addictive and hard to control. It weakens you and you age each time you Use, then you die. Which is kinda stupid, since I love The Power. Caleb said that I'm reckless and irresponsible. But I don't care. What's the point of having Powers if you can't use them? That's why after Ascension, the others don't Use that much anymore. I try not to Use that much but...

We headed to the basement. We sat on the 5 square stones that were placed in a circle, with our respective surnames names etched into them. Caleb looked at the bookcase across the room, and we watched as if someone was pulling it out, a Book moved towards us, floating in the air, then hovered over the altar that was in the middle. The altar erupted into a ring of flames and the book dropped onto the altar. Ugh. Caleb was Using Pyrokinesis (the ablilty to set the ring of fire), and Telekiesis (the ablilty to move an object or levitate things). The Book of Damnation began to move, flipping open, the pages turning on its own. Caleb scanned the pages quickly, then apparently finding nothing, the Book slammed shut.

"Last night we all felt something--or someone Use," Caleb spoke, glancing at each one of us.

"What do you think? Could it be Ch--" I started.

"He's dead," he hissed harshly. "But whatever or whoever it was, it Used a lot of strength."

"So, what are you saying, Caleb?" Pogue asked.

I watched Caleb's face. "I don't know," he admitted finally. I could see the wheels turning. He was denying, refusing to believe the possibility that Chase might've returned. But if Caleb said he was dead, he was dead. He wouldn't lie to us without good reason. Right?

We sat in silence. I looked over at Tyler. He was being quiet.

"Mother told me a couple of months ago . . . after Reid's Ascension, about something called The Curse of Ipswich from the Chronicles of Paganism. That we should keep an ear out for it. She didn't say more about it," he trailed off.

Suddenly, someone's cell phone rang. I looked around at each person, then realized it was mine.

"Hello?"

"Reid? Can I talk to Tyler?" Katia's voice said from the phone. It was nice hearing her voice.

"Um...sure. Hold on," I said.  I handed the phone to Tyler.

"Hello? Hey, Katia..." Tyler said. He paused, glancing over to me for a split second, meeting my eyes, then looked away.

"What? Ok... No, no. I understand. I'm fine with that. As long as you're happy, Katia... I don't care. Alright. Bye. Here's Reid, " Tyler said, handing my phone to me.

"Reid? Are you alone?" Katia asked, as I got up, jogging up the stone steps.

"REID! Don't do anything stupid!" Caleb shouted behind me.

I rolled my eyes. I remembered that last time he said that, it was to Pogue. Then...Pogue got into a motorcycle crash, then slipped into a coma. Just listen to Caleb, you dumbass.