Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

TYLER (P.o.V)

I stared at the clock, waiting for homeroom to end, my foot tapping impatiently under the desk. I glanced back at Katia and Reid's empty desks. I wondered where they were. It wasn't like Katia to miss school. I mean, Reid, yeah but not Katia. I exchanged glances with Caleb and Pogue. Last night, someone was Using. A lot. I figured it was Reid. He's always doing stuff like that. Especially stealing the girls you like. Fuck you, Reid, you dipshit. Why the hell am I still friends with you again?  We got back in Caleb's car around midnight. I was tired as hell. Finally, the bell rang and I bolted from my seat and out the hallway to my next class.

Caleb and Pogue were right behind me. Where was Reid? Was Katia alright? I thought back to the phone call. I was so lost in thought that I didn't see the girl walking in front of me until it was too late, sending her to the floor, scattering papers everywhere. People moved around us, not bothering to help, not wanting to be late. Caleb, Pogue and I helped collect her papers. As we stood, I handed her papers back. She took them, then held her hand out.

"Can I have my bag back please?"

I didn't even realize I had it. I finally looked at her as she cocked her head impatiently. She had dark blue eyes rimmed with lots of eyeliner with long black hair and bright red highlights. She wore all black, a black punk t-shirt and black jeans. She had silver and black bracelets running up one arm. Even her bag was black for God's sake. And I'm actually . . . liking it? The fuck, bro?

She raised an eyebrow. "Can I have my bag back or not, dude?"

Caleb quickly smacked the back of my head, snapping me back to reality. Usually he only does that with Reid... Just give her her bag back, you moron. I held her bag out and she snatched it.

She brushed past me, muttering,"Now I'm late, thanks to that jerk..."

I stared after her vanishing figure, then turned around. Caleb and Pogue had smiles on their faces.

"What?" I asked.

Pogue spoke up. "Looks like our Baby-Boy's growing up."

"You were literally staring at that girl forever. Now we're late," Caleb explained.

We high-tailed it to our classes, making up bullshit excuses along the way. Surprisingly, mine worked when I told the teacher I was making Chemistry of my own.

Dear God, what the hell's wrong with me?

Class ended, then Art came. I walked to Art and as I sat in my seat, I noticed the girl I bumped into earlier was standing in front of the room. The bell rang and Mrs. Dye took attendance.

"Class, this is our newest student from New York. Please make her feel welcome here."

Mrs. Dye walked over to me, saying, "Tyler, would you mind if Samantha sat with you? I know Katia's your partner but...um... It's just the day or whenever she comes back."

"Sure." Samantha took the seat next to me, avoiding eye contact with me. Mrs. Dye wanted to know if Katia was okay and so I explained that she was just having a sick day. Finally, she turned to another student seeking help.

Then after a moment of silence, Samantha turned to me and said, "Let's just get this straight. My name's Sami, not Samantha. And I swear to God, if you call me Samantha, I will punch your face so hard, you'll be crying for your daddy."

"Don't have to. He's dead," I told her.

She paled, then cursed. "I didn't---"

"Don't worry about it," I said. "He was an asshole anyway."