6- Wings of the Night

Inej

She knew she should have been focused on working out her new body or finding an exit, but she couldn't help the fascinated pull she felt towards this warrior. His elongated limbs were elegant, not gangly like Jesper. His centuries old face was dark and beautiful. Inej didn't think she'd really thought about someone's looks this way before.

It wasn't that she was interested romantically. She was already coming across as the silly little mortal girl, she didn't need him hearing those kinds of thoughts.

But she wanted to see those wings. She really did.

Distantly, she thought about what she might have, what powers, but her all-consuming thoughts were of those wings.

What was it like to be truly free- to be able to fly; defy even the laws of gravity completely and wholly for as long as you wanted? As much as Inej loved jumping through buildings and landscaped, the ground was only a slight barrier for this male and she was so jealous.

Even the tight bonds of Ketterdam couldn't hold her if she could fly.

Rhysand was looking at her with a contemplative look on his face.

"A question for a question." He said.

Okay then.

"Can I see your wings," May as well ask, she was probably going to die tonight anyway.

He could read minds and yet he still looked slightly stunned.

She didn't expect him to comply and the seconds of silence that followed were enough to suggest he wouldn't.

But then there was a stir and shadows gathered around him.

Slowly great darkness unfolded from behind him. Feathery, yet with a look of leather to them. Inej wanted to touch them badly but she didn't want to invade the image that was this High Lord. He was Night, all-consuming.

His wings spanned a great length of the room and he stood in between them as if they were a crown. Behold us and weep, they cried.

"My turn," he stated. "What's it like where you live?"

Inej wasn't sure what she was expecting, but to describe Ketterdam wasn't it.

Slowly, she said: "It's dark, ruled by thieves and thieves dressed nicely who call themselves merchants." She didn't know where else to begin. "There are good people hidden between the thieves, but not many." Inej thought of Jesper and Nina. She might never see them again, she realised with a start. "How did we get here?" She asked quickly.

"Portal, I presume." Said the male. Inej focused on the wings again as he continued. "They involve very little magic but open across worlds." He then looked around the room and walked towards a pile of books.

"But there aren't any of your people back home," Inej tried to imagine this kind of person living in the Slates. "Only brutes and stupid little girls." She whispered to herself.

"You don't strike me as stupid, girl. Little, maybe, but not stupid." He smirked at her. Right, special hearing. 

Inej thought about loyalty, was that stupid? It could get you killed and all for nothing if it's the wrong cause...

Stupid little girl, she thought to herself.

She didn't know if they were still doing the question thing, but asked: "Is loyalty bad?"

He paused his scanning the book he was looking at. He tucked his wings back in before continuing.

"Yes." He looked down once more before meeting her eye again to continue. "If misplaced. There are those loyal to the lady on the thrown in there. That loyalty is bad. Why, who are you loyal to?"

Inej wasn't about to answer that, he probably knew anyway.

"A question for a question," he reminded her smugly, looking down at his book once more.

"The boy." Inej spat. She couldn't help it. Her mother wouldn't recognise her and her father would cast her out. Playing with thieves and cheats, Inej?

She didn't know why she was only now acknowledging all this. And was here really the best place for answers?

"And why is that boy such a bad thing?" The Lord questioned, finally looking up from the book. What on earth was so interesting about it?

"He's a liar and a thief and manipulative and too smart and scary and power hungry and greedy and dark and- and not human." Inej didn't think she'd had this long a conversation in a while, especially not with a stranger. 

"Neither are you." He pointed out. Inej stopped. She thought about it and supposed he was right- humans don't have pointy ears. This must be a dream, she concluded. "And I'm dark and greedy and manipulative," He continued. "You're not afraid of me." It wasn't a question. 

"I don't work for you." Inej tried to reason. 

"Those loyal to Amarantha are only loyal out of fear or admiration of her wickedness." He placed the book down onto the table, before strolling towards Inej, wings still hovering at his back. "Your boy cares for you."

Inej stared and then scoffed. 

"Kaz doesn't feel bad for anyone but himself." 

"Why did he scream for you then?" The Lord of the Night picked Inej's knives up off the bed. Inej was intending on ignoring that. "We are twisted creatures but most of us still feel. We all wear masks. Your boy wears one, just as you do, Wraith." How does he know that name? Right, mind reading.

He handed the knives to her. Inej balanced one in each palm. The Lord was close now, just in front of her. "As long as he is good to you; as long as it is what you want, stay loyal Wraith."

This male was ancient- and in pain- Inej could recognise that. She couldn't imagine how many people he'd lost or had betrayed him or betrayed himself. He knew sadness and greed and goodness. Inej had once thought herself smart and calculating and good. 

The Lord of the Night Court knew what hid in the darkest of place but still trusted Inej- trusted her to be good.

Inej weighed the sharp metal in her hands. Her parents might not recognise her, but Kaz did. She did. She was the Wraith. 

And tonight she would reclaim herself. 

With pointy ears and long limbs.

This should be interesting.

The Night was still standing in front of her looking intrigued. He was staring at her hands.

The metal she was holding started to glow and  melt. Inej cursed as she watched in awe as they bent into a new position. Her knives grew. 

The Wraith finally had her claws. 

The Lord's eyes widened as he watched her reshape the weapons with only thought. "I guess we know something you can do, little one."

Power. She was the Wraith and she was power. 

Okay, maybe Kaz wasn't the only power hungry one...

"Oh, by the way," The Lord added casually. "All the portals close at midnight." So that's what he learnt from that book.