3

asting

Joey's jacket smelled like cologne and faintly like chocolate, I noticed as he held me. The fact that he had come out to find me only made me cry harder, on top of all the other things I was sobbing about. Joey buried his face in the crook of my neck. "You're safe now. Shhhh, Asting I promise you're safe now. There's nothing to be scared about. I'm not going to hurt you." He kept whispering until I stopped crying. I lifted my head up from his chest only to find him already staring at me. It was only then when I realized that I had slid off the bench and was sitting on the sidewalk.

Joey took a hold on both my hands, tracing circles on my skin with his thumbs. "C'mon. I'm taking you back to my apartment." He pulled me up with him, refusing to let go of my right hand. We walked back to the car that was still sitting in the middle of the street and he opened the passenger door for me once more. I let go of his hand, signaling him to go around to the driver's side but he lingered for a second, staring at me. He shook his head before walking around and sliding into the driver's seat.

>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<

The car was silent as Joey drove back to his apartment. I'd catch him staring at me out of the corner of my eye, but I said nothing about it. Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore. "Why did you come after me?" I asked, my voice croaky from not speaking. Joey sighed, stopping at a red light and running his hands through his dark hair. "I knew something was wrong from the minute I met you." He didn't elaborate for a few minutes and I wanted to say more but we pulled into a large concrete structure and I realized we were at his complex. "We're home, dear," he mumbled, not meeting my eye.

Joey flung his apartment door open, sighing once again. "Well, here we are." He stepped behind me, gently pulling my jacket off my shoulders and hanging it up by the door. My legs were fatigued from running and I collapsed when his hands reached my wrists. Joey drew in a breath but his strong arms tightened around me, and he led me through his house to a room that I assumed was his bedroom, judging by the clothes and the mess everywhere.

"You can sleep in here," he told me, walking off to give me my space. I turned and scanned the small room. Baseball gear was strewn everywhere, duffel bags and tied cleats hung from the door handle. "Joey?" I called and he quickly appeared in the doorway. His blue eyes sparkled in the dim bedroom light. "Asting?" "Do you have a shirt I can wear?" I asked. He smirked at me, pulling the shirt he was wearing over his head and handing it to me. "Yeah."

I smiled for the first time in what felt like forever, and Joey looked like he was going to burst with happiness. "That's what I wanna see." He began to walk off again as I took my shirt off and pulled his on. It too smelled like cologne and chocolate. "Joey?" I called again, and he reappeared in front of me. "Can you stay in here with me?"