Chapter 26

Harry and Hermione spent two weeks away on their honeymoon. They had just returned home, and were picking Teddy up from Andromeda's house.
Even though this was something they did often, they always enjoyed it. It felt familiar and comforting.

But this feeling would not last for Hermione.

When they got back to Grimmauld Place, Harry immediately got to work putting Teddy to sleep. Hermione was grateful for his distraction, which made it simple to hide her unease.

She went to the bedroom and changed into her pajamas, then sat on the bed waiting for Harry.

When Harry came, he looked surprised to see Hermione. "Oh, you're still awake? I figured you'd be asleep."

Hermione tried to fake a smile, but the most she could muster was very faint. "I'm not tired," she said, which wasn't entirely truthful. She was tired, but she knew she wasn't going to get any sleep tonight.

"Is something bothering you?" Harry asked as he went to join her on the bed.

"No," she told him. This was also not entirely truthful, but she figured that it could wait until morning.

She must have been faking it well, because Harry asked no more questions. He bid her goodnight and clicked the light off, then slid under the sheets and drifted off. Hermione lied next to him, trying to vain to follow his lead.

But Hermione had fallen for Harry's trick, although he did not fall for hers. Harry was just as awake as she was, wondering what was on her mind. He knew that there was something, but he knew she would tell him when she was ready, and that pressing her for answers wouldn't work.

But unlike Hermione, Harry did fall asleep eventually. Hermione lied awake, watching the clock until it reached a reasonable time for getting up.

Teddy hadn't even woken yet, which made it clear to Hermione just how early it was. She tip-toed down the stairs and into the kitchen where she brewed herself a cup of tea. Then she stood by the window, resting her elbows on the sill, watching the sun rise until she heard footsteps behind her. She attempted another smile. "Morning, Harry."

"Morning, Hermione," he murmured back before stepping closer to her. He placed a hand under her chin and gently tilted her head up toward his. "You didn't sleep," he said. It wasn't a question.

Hermione shook her head. She knew she couldn't deny it. "No," she whispered. "I didn't."

"Why?" Harry asked her. She could hear the concern in his voice, and she knew she couldn't hide it from him anymore.

"I have some news, Harry."

Harry raised his eyebrows expectantly.

She sighed. "What if... If I told you..."

Hermione broke off, but Harry was waiting patiently. She finished so quietly that Harry wouldn't have heard her if her wasn't standing so close.

"I'm pregnant."

Harry broke into a smile. He wrapped his arms around her. When he let her go, he said,"Hermione, why were you so afraid to tell me that?"

She sighed. "I don't know, Harry. Something just doesn't feel right."

"What do you mean? Do you feel sick?"

She shook her head. "No, no, it's nothing like that. I just have this awful feeling that something bad is going happen."

"I'm sure it's normal. Everybody's afraid when they're doing something new."

Hermione nodded. "You're right. I'm sure it's nothing." But she could feel the hollowness in her words.

Harry smiled. "Besides, we already have Teddy. We're not parents and we won't have to be first-time parents!"

Hermione laughed and kissed him. Just then, they heard Teddy cry. Hermione immediately went upstairs to take care of him, trying hard to distract herself from her thoughts. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was going to go horribly wrong.