Battle by the River

Legolas held the ring in the palm of his hand, he'd never seen anything like it before.

He placed the ring between his thumb and index finger, holding it up so that he could study it closer.

So small, and plain.

Legolas thought to himself as he turned it to the side.

Yet, precious....

Legolas didn't know where these thoughts were coming from, and at the moment he didn't care. All he could think about was the small ring that he now possesed.

Why shouldn't it be mine? The creature dropped it and I picked it up. It's mine now.

As if he were in a trance Legolas slowly began to place the ring on his finger. Ignoring the horrifed look from the being in front of him.

The moment Legolas put it on his world plunged into darkness. He saw horrifying shapes of creatures moving through the shadows, screeching and slowly beginning to circle him.

Then he felt it, as if something was searching for him, like an eye...

It burned into him, and Legolas felt as if his skin was being ripped off of him.

Take it off! Take it off now!

He wanted to take it off, but he couldn't see where it was!

The eye continued to glare at him, the pain was growing worse, and there was nothing he could do to get away from it.

TAKE OFF THE RING!
TAKE IT OFF!

Legolas' hand shot blindly in front of him, desperately searching for the ring.

He felt it under his hand and pulled as hard as he could, every movement sending a wave of agony through him.

He had to get it off, he had to....

Legolas screamed in agonized fury as he finally ripped the ring off and threw onto the floor without a second thought.

As he stood gasping for breath, and desperately searching for something to lean on, the being in front of him retrieved the ring.

Not knowing what to say or do to the elf in front of him, he began backing away from the elf.
Before he could speak he heard and angry shout from up the stairs.

"Where is the keeper of the keys?"
Feren stormed down into the cellar, finding two unconcious elves, Legolas leaning against a wall exausted, and the shape of something small sliding backwards into the river below.

"My Lord, are you alright?"
Feren raced to his prince's side and placed a hand on his chest to steady him as he lurched forward.

"The- the dwarves."
He managed to say in between gasps for air.
"They-  they escaped- into the river. There was- another one."

Feren shouted for his warriors to go after them, not knowing that Legolas was only guessing their prisoner's fate.

"Let me take you to a healer."
Feren helped Legolas stand only to be pushed away.
"No, I am going after them."

"My Lord-"
"I am going Feren. You cannot stop me."

Moving past him Legolas ran to retrieve his weapons. Something evil had entered their home, and he would make sure that it left.

»»»»

Legolas ran out of the door that led to the river that the dwarves would be in.