Danger in the Shadows

Legolas doubled checked his pack to make sure that everything he would need for his and Estel's travels.

Both had decided not to linger in Rivendell any longer. Tensions were running high between Estel and Elrond, and even Legolas was feeling resentment towards the elf lord.

He glanced over at the unopened letter that he cast aside on the top of a small desk.

Elrond had expected him to read it the moment he received it, but what Legolas didn't understand was why the need for him to read the letter was so urgent.

He hadn't heard anything from his father in years. Why should he concern himself with what he had to say now?

Legolas turned away from the sealed letter and continued packing. He had everything he needed, all he had to do now was meet Estel at the front gate.

Legolas swung his pack over his shoulder and began to make a swift exit out of the room. He paused with his hand on the door handle.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw the letter. Guilt had finally set in and Legolas knew that he couldn't leave without at least taking it with him.

Legolas walked over to the table and retrieved the letter, he placed it in his pack and once again headed for the door.

I will read it later.

He decided as he strode down the hallway and out of the house of Elrond.

Estel was already waiting for him with two horses, one was saddled and the other wasn't.

Legolas greeted Estel with a smile and gently stroked his horse, speaking to it quietly in elvish.

The twins and Elrond were there to see them off. All three had their doubts and concerns about the pair leaving so soon.

"Where do you plan on traveling to?"
Elrond asked.
"We are going east over the Misty Mountains."
Estel informed him as he mounted his horse.

"How far?"
Elrond asked narrowing his eyes. He did not like the idea of his son traveling through those mountains.
"Just to the north of the Gladden Fields. I want to make sure that nothing foul is lurking in that area."

Elrond nodded, satisfied with his answer.
"Then I will not keep you waiting any longer. Both of you go and may the Valar watch over you."

Estel and Legolas nodded. They said their goodbyes to the twins and rode out of Rivendell. Once they were out of sight they sent their horses into a run.

The trees flew past them in a blur. The horses neighed in delight as they once again had the freedom to run once again.

Legolas closed his eyes, trusting that his horse would not let him fall or run into anything. He relished the feeling of the wind on his face. This was one of those times where he felt truly free.

 This was one of those times where he felt truly free