The war

If I owned Harry Potter, you would know it. Votes and comments are appreciated!

Chapter 5

"So there was a war?" asked Tonks, her hair bubblegum pink.
"Yeah," said James. "We didn't even cover it in History of Magic last year because our teacher thought it was too much for eleven-year-olds. They usually teach that stuff the third year."

"Can you tell us who- who didn't make it?" Tonks asked uncertainly. James looked at Dumbledore for permission to go on. And yes, it was the first time he ever asked permission first, not after doing the deed. The old man nodded.

"I'm going to tell you what I know. It's mostly what I've heard from my parents and family."

"The war was long and it was without mercy, at least for the Death Eaters' part. Muggleborns were shipped off to Azkaban without reason for 'stealing magic', which was of course ridiculous. People were murdered on a daily basis. Whether or not you were going to Hogwarts was no longer an option for underage wizards and witches. You went to Hogwarts or you went to Azkaban or you ran for your life. Homeschooling was not an option if you wanted to stay alive."

"Headmaster, you died at the end of my dad's sixth year leaving him a task." He could hear gasps and Remus yelling a loud "No!" but they soon calmed down and let him continue.

"Because of that task, my dad, Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron skipped their seventh year at Hogwarts and soon became the most wanted in the whole country. Voldemort's name became a taboo. More people got killed. I don't know the details, but apparently during that year on the run they somehow managed to break into the Ministry and Gringotts, run away on a dragon ("Awesome!" yelled the twins while their mother stared at them disapprovingly), get abducted, almost killed more than once and somehow they made Kreacher into a well-behaved, polite being.". James' Dad and his friends looked a bit under the weather when they heard about their 'achievements'. Sirius snorted loudly

"Not bloody possible. That damn elf is rotten to the core.

"No, he's not! Kreacher is really nice and always puts extra chocolate in my chocolate chip cookies," stated Lily as if that proved her point. Nobody dared to argue with her. They had already realised that Lily Potter was a real force to be reckoned with.

"Yeah, sure Lils. So, as I was telling you before I was very rudely interrupted, the war was bad and my dad and his friends did some real crazy stuff. But then came the time of the Final Battle, the Battle of Hogwarts. My dad, Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron returned to the castle. They joined the forces with the Order and D.A."

"What the bloody hell is D.A.?" Mad-Eye Moody demanded. Lily snorted coldly.
"Oh yeah, it hasn't been established yet," James realised.
"So, D.A. was founded by my dad and Aunt Hermione in their fifth year. The initials stand for Dumbledore's Army, because that's what the Ministry was most afraid of." Aunt Hermione looked intrigued.

"Their fifth year was the year Dolores Umbridge, or as Auntie Hermione and Mum call her, Umbitch, came to Hogwarts." Aunt Hermione looked scandalised and James's Mum had a wide grin on her face.
"What?" Yelled James' dad with rage.
"Yeah, yeah, calm down Dad. You and Auntie here kicked her ass big time." James grinned.

"Jamie, watch the language," Lily scolded her brother, "Mum's going to throw a fit if she hears what you've been saying." Lily's tone was only a little concerned and full of threat. Blackmail was not far from her thoughts.
"Yup, she'll be a Slytherin for sure," Sirius whispered to Remus.

"Can I continue now? Thanks. So, this Umbridge wasn't a good teacher. She didn't allow wand use and all she taught was theory, which was not good because Voldemort was gaining strength.
My dad got into lot of trouble with her, but that's beside the point. The point is, Aunt Hermione here had this brilliant idea of founding an illegal defence against the dark arts group for students, also known as Dumbledore's Army. My dad taught them defence and they soon became really good. There were people of all ages from Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. Dad taught them how to fight, how to defend and so on. They even learned the Patronus Charm. So basically, my dad did Umbridge's work all year long, which she didn't take well when she found out."

"Wait a minute? You're saying that our Hermione did something illegal in school?" The twins asked dumbstruck. James' dad and Uncle Ron grinned at each other.
"What? It's not like it's the first time!" Said Aunt Hermione defending herself before realising that she was in the room with two of her teachers and her headmaster.
"Yup, that Polyjuice Potion wasn't legal to be exact and neither was freeing a convict wanted for several murders and traveling in time when doing so," muttered Uncle Ron.

"But what does this kids' group have to do with the war?" Asked Moody.
"A Kids' group? A KIDS' GROUP? At one point, they were larger than the Order. They were the ones, Professor Longbottom especially, who kept the students alive during the war. They were the first ones, even before the Order, to fight in the Final Battle. They were the biggest group of rebellions, and the loudest one. They used their skills to save and protect people, first of all the younger students who had to be evacuated quickly. They fought against the Death Eaters when the adults were too scared to do so. They are recognised as war heroes in our time."

Moody nodded approvingly. The rest of the Order looked interested.
"Wait, did you say Neville was a leader of a rebellion?" Asked Uncle Ron bewildered. James nodded, annoyed by the stupid question.

"On May 2nd, 1998, the Battle of Hogwarts took place. Too many died, too many were injured and too many children were left orphaned."

"Please, tell us who died," pleaded Tonks.
"The truth is, we haven't met many of you, because you died before we were born."
"Tell us, boy," Moody said grumpily.
"Well-"

But before James could continue, there was another loud CRACK from the hallway and they could hear moaning and soon after, the screaming of Mrs. Black.
"Filthy Mudboolds and blood traitors, tainting my ancestors' ancient home! Filth and scum! Die, you filth, die!"
Sirius ran to the hallway and they could hear the muffled screams of his mother's portrait.
Sirius came back with a tall, lanky, blue haired teenage boy and a miniature version of James' dad.

"Teddy! Al!" Lily screeched with joy and ran to hug them both tightly.
James felt so relieved that Teddy was there. He wasn't the one in charge anymore. He went and hugged the older boy. Al was still hugging Lily tightly.

"Woah!" Said Al when he finally looked at his surroundings.
"What year is it?" Asked Teddy immediately.
"It's summer of 1995," answered Tonks and Teddy stared at her intensely.
"Would you be so kind and introduce yourselves?" Asked Dumbledore's patiently.
Al looked at Teddy for confirmation and spoke after the older boy nodded encouragingly.

"My name is Al Potter," said Al cautiously.
"Tell us something about yourself, Al," said Gran with a gentle smile.
"And full name this time, Al," teased James. Al looked at his brother with murder in his eyes.

"My name is Albus Severus Potter-" Al began.
"WHAT?!?" Yelled the Weasley boys and James' dad.
"There's absolutely no way Harry would name his son after that git!" Shouted Sirius angrily. Snape sneered at him but remained otherwise quiet.
"Thanks James," said Teddy eyeing the younger boy. James shrugged and grinned.
"Shut it!" Yelled Lily and the whole room fell into silence. "Thank you."

"Go on, Al. No one is going to interrupt you this time." Lily's voice was threatening.

"Umm... So my name is Al, and I'm ten. My birthday was a few weeks ago. I'm starting at Hogwarts next year. I hope I'm going to be a Gryffindor like Mum and Dad."
"Slytherin," coughed James Sirius. Lily elbowed him hard in the ribs. Albus ignored him.
"I- I like Quidditch and I play seeker like my dad. I like to read and own a huge collection of Chocolate Frog Cards." He nodded and stepped a bit back.

"It's so nice to meet you, Al." Their mum said, smiling. Their dad nodded.

"And who are you?" Demanded Moody looking at Teddy.
"My name is Teddy. Teddy Remus Lupin to be exact."