MM: Part Seven

Gideon Northwest was done with people.

This was a common occurrence, but today was worse than usual. First, he had to go into town, which always resulted in annoying attention from idiot locals; then, he got dragged into a dumb hunt by his so-called friends, even though that wimp Greyson was once again protected by his little Asian hyena of a bodyguard; and, to top it all off, that ridiculous Dipper Pines showed up and tried to speak to him, just because Gideon saved his life the other day.

Everyone was such a pain.

Gideon huffed as he stomped through the forest, creating deep holes in the deeper snow. He knew that Pacifica liked to use her amulet to glide over the snow when she needed to get away in the forest, but he liked the feeling of force as he sank through the snow with each step. He liked creating a path for himself, too. It made him feel like he owned the forest. Perhaps he actually did; he lost track of how much property his family owned around this little town.

Either way, the forest was his.

Gideon stopped to rest, standing ankle-deep in the snow in the middle of a small clearing. The weak sun shone through the evergreen branches. No people here. Just him, his amulet, and his thoughts.

A screech cut through the air.

Gideon groaned. Of course. Perfect timing!

As the screech continued, taking on the timbre of a dying wildcat (even worse than the noises that Candy had made earlier), Gideon could tell it was Pacifica. The only other time he had heard her make that sound was when they were kids and he'd levitated gum into her hair with his amulet. Good times.

Gideon considered waiting until Pacifica stopped screaming at the top of her lungs, but that probably wouldn't happen anytime soon. With a sigh, he activated his amulet, floating above the snow in a blue haze. He would need the convenience for this.

He followed the sound of the screeching — it wasn't exactly hard — until he could see Pacifica's purple glow through the trees. She was on the edge of the forest, that idiot! What if someone saw her? For a girl so good at hiding insanity behind make-up and a smile, Pacifica had a shockingly small sense of discretion. Now that her powers were back in business, Gideon thought that she used them way too much.

He cleared the last line of trees. Now he could fully see Pacifica. She floated in the middle of her astral projection, directing her inhuman shriek at. . .

Mabel Pines?

"Get away from me!" yelled Pacifica, her projection taking a step backwards.

Mabel didn't appear to even be doing anything, except yelling back. "Not until you promise never to touch me or my brother again!"

Gideon decided to hang back a bit and watch. This was interesting.

"Gideon! Thank goodness you're here!"

Oh, right. He was glowing.

He sighed and floated into sight. Mabel looked over at him. "You! Gideon, right? Can you get her down from there so I can pound her?"

Gideon blinked. He had only interacted with Mabel once (plus heard a bit about her from her brother), and he wouldn't have expected her to act so violent. After all, she'd run from Pacifica as soon as she had the chance the other day.

"Gideon, get that freak away from me!" Pacifica whined. Gideon had no idea what she was so worried about. She was floating a yard or so above Mabel's head in a giant astral projection, for Cipher's sake. Gideon had to admit, she made a good astral projection; he usually just settled for a blue haze around him when he needed to hover.