PF: Part Eleven

Mabel stared up at the figure that surrounded Pacifica and made a supreme effort not to hyperventilate.

The thing was huge — taller than the Mystery Museum, even. It had a vaguely human shape, but it didn't look much like Pacifica. Its skin was purple with swirling shades of lilac and black, shifting like a thick galaxy of stars. Pacifica floated at the center, where the giant's heart would be. She was clearly visible through the figure's skin, which was more transparent at the chest than in the limbs.

"Astral projection," Ford whispered.

Mabel glanced up at him, searching for signs of fear in his face. There weren't any, blessedly, though he did look impressed.

"Four against one isn't all that fair, wouldn't you say?" Pacifica said. Even though Mabel saw her mouth move, her voice boomed across the clearing as if the sound were coming from the projection. "So we might as well level the odds."

Pacifica swung her arm. The projection copied her actions, throwing its huge arm towards the ground — towards the Pines.

Before Mabel knew what was happening, she was on the ground, with the snow soaking through the knees of her new pair of jeans. The ground shook, and she saw the giant purple arm hit the spot where she had been just a moment before. A glance to the side told her that Ford had pushed her out of the way.

The astral arm lifted off the ground, and Mabel could see Dipper and Melody on the other side. They were in a heap, much like her and Ford, but it looked like no one had been hurt.

"N-now would be a really good time to get those resources, Grunkle Ford," said Mabel.

Ford nodded, helping Mabel to her feet. "Hurry," he breathed, then pulled Mabel and his duffel bag into the tree line. "She won't be able to reach in here if we find the right spot."

He unzipped the duffel bag and started pulling things out, while Mabel tried to find Dipper and Melody through the trees. She could make out their forms, but no details.

"Grunkle Ford, they're not coming to us," Mabel said worriedly.

Ford didn't reply. He was looking a gun up and down, looking shocked. "No. . ."

"What?"

"The projection's arm. . . it hit the duffel bag." He dropped the gun. "Most of this stuff is useless now."

Mabel's eyes widened. "Then wh-what do we have?"

"Mabel!"

She whipped around. Dipper was running around the clearing — it looked like he was trying to dodge Pacifica's projection. Melody was still lying in the snow. Not moving.

"F-Ford!" whispered Mabel. "I think Melody is down! We've gotta get out there!"

He shoved something into her hand. "This little guy is all we have left," Ford said. "Press down on the button at the center, and it should temporarily negate the effects of her powers — if I'm right about what type of power she holds, that is. It won't last more than a minute tops before burning out, so be careful."

"D-do you have any more?"

"One." He held it up, then slipped it into a pocket. Mabel followed suit.

"Mabel!"

Dipper! Mabel turned and dashed out from the trees.

"Mabel, wait!" Ford called after her. But she didn't stop — Dipper needed her.

She burst from the tree line to see Dipper running from the outstretched hand of Pacifica's astral projection. "Dipper!"

"Melody is unconscious," he yelled, running towards his sister. "Pacifica hit her."