PF: Part Eight

Gideon Northwest's hands trembled in excitement. The Journal was secure beneath his coat, and his magic carried him over the snow towards the Mystery Museum, where the second Journal was.

Towards the Museum. Away from Mabel.

His hands were trembling — in excitement.

He finally had it! He finally had the first Journal. Mabel had had it all along! She had practically given it to him.

The image of her horrified face suddenly appeared in Gideon's mind. He shook his head violently to dispel it. Don't think about her, he told himself. Getting the Journal is far more important.

He continued through the forest, his cape streaming behind him with blue magic dancing on the ends. This was definitely the way to travel. The Journal was in his jacket, and the weather was nice, with crisp, cold air lit by invigorating sunshine. He had nothing to worry about.

Yet there was Mabel's face again.

Gideon grimaced and pushed it out of his head again. He did what he had to. She wasn't his concern.

Try as he might to stop it, Mabel's face popped up in his mind's eye multiple times before he finally emerged from the forest. He landed in the snow, extinguishing his amulet, and started across the clearing between the woods and the Museum. There was no one around, but careful training had taught him not to use his powers in public. "These powers we've given you are not to be flaunted," his father used to say.

Usually, when the voice of Gideon's father came into his head, he didn't pay attention to it. This time, however, another seemingly unrelated piece of counsel appeared. It was almost as if he could hear it externally. "The key to success, Gideon," Gaston Northwest's voice said, "is never hesitating to crush those who stand in your way."

Strange. Why would Gideon remember that right now?

"Th-that's mine! Gideon!"

Gideon jumped and looked around wildly. He could've sworn he had just heard Mabel shouting at him. But no one was there. That voice had been in his head, too.

Gideon got chills that had nothing to do with the winter air.

His expression hardened, and he quickened his pace towards the Museum. Stop it, Gideon. Stop thinking about her!

She was in my way.

Stop it.

She was in my way, so I

Stop it!

By the time Gideon threw open the door to the Museum, it was as if he were slamming it in Mabel's face. He wanted her out of his head. He had the Journal now; he shouldn't be thinking about her.

"Gideon?"

Gideon blinked and looked around. Pacifica watched him in concern as she levitated the last of the crystal shards into a trash can. He realized he was standing still in the doorway.

"I found it," he told her breathlessly. It sounded like the breathless part had come from excitement — just like the trembling hands.

Excitement.

The blank look on Pacifica's face turned to surprise. "You mean the Journal?" she said.

Gideon glanced across the room, where he could see Dipper sitting sulkily on the couch. He'd forgotten about him. Did Dipper know about the Journal? Would he recognize it? Would he know that Gideon had stolen it from his sister?

No, he told himself. You didn't steal it. You needed it. Don't worry about Dipper.

Still, Gideon turned away from the boy and lowered his voice. "Yeah, the Journal," he said to Pacifica. "Where's mine? Didn't I leave it here earlier?"